Director of Finance
The Director of Finance manages and administers all aspects of the finances of Ploughshares Fund, reports to the Managing Director, and is a member of the organization’s senior leadership team. This is a fast-paced hands-on position based in San Francisco with approximately eight (8) hours of administrative/data entry support per week. In addition, the director supervises an IT Manager and Operations Associate. We currently have 19 staff split between the San Francisco and Washington DC offices and an annual budget of approximately $7 million, of which more than $4 million is awarded as grants.
Functions and Responsibilities
The Director of Finance is a full-time position with primary responsibility for the following:
- Ensures adherence to all generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and other financial regulations and guidelines. Maintains internal controls.
- Prepares organizational budget; monitors budget to actuals; updates forecasted assumptions; reports to senior management, appropriate committees, and the overall Board on a regular basis.
- Assesses financial challenges, risks and opportunities beyond the current fiscal year; advises senior management, relevant committees and the Board.
- Enters, or supervises the entry of, all data into the accounting software.
- Processes A/P via wire, ACH or check and makes all bank deposits via remote check scanner.
- Generates budgets for grant proposals; prepares financial reports in accordance with the requirements of incoming grants.
- Liaises with the Development Team to ensure that donor-restricted income is spent in accordance with donor intent; reconciles discrepancies between records of the finance and development departments.
- Serves as the staff liaison to the Audit, Finance and Investment Committees of the Board and is the primary staff contact for the auditor and investment consultant.
- In conjunction with outside CPA firms, prepares and files all required tax returns, including that of the 403b plan.
- In conjunction with an outside legal firm, prepares and files all required charitable registrations.
- Processes payroll via a third-party service; manages all employee benefits including a 403b retirement plan and a Health Savings Account; serves as the primary staff contact for HR issues and seeks legal advice when appropriate.
- Monitors activity in approximately 18 investment accounts and carries out transactions approved by the investment committee; monitors credit card and bank accounts.
- Calculates and distributes quarterly disbursements to participants in the Pooled Income Fund; facilitates the preparation of the PIF annual tax returns and distribution of K-1s.
- Serves as the primary contact for landlords and most vendors; negotiates contract and insurance renewals or assists department directors in negotiations.
- Proven experience in financial management as a Director of Finance or similar role.
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in accounting and finance, with at least two (2) years in a senior leadership role overseeing accounts payable and receivable, payroll, and budgets of at least $3 million. Ability to analyze and interpret balance sheets for staff, committees, and board.
- Experience generating outgoing wires/ACHs in excess of $100,000 preferred.
- Prior experience as an HR generalist preferred.
- Proficient in accounting software and MS Office.
- Meticulously well-organized with the ability to set priorities and meet deadlines.
- Proven track record of accurate, timely, and high-quality work with minimum supervision.
- Outstanding written, verbal and interpersonal skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Public Administration, nonprofit management, or other relevant discipline OR relevant experience in financial management.
- A commitment to Ploughshares Fund’s mission and diversity in the field.
- A commitment to working as part of a team.
- Collegial and consultative approach to preventing and solving problems.
How to Apply
Ploughshares Fund offers a full range of benefits including health/dental/vision/life insurance, a 403b retirement plan (with an employer match and contribution after a year and a day of employment), paid sick leave and paid vacation time. Ploughshares Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Please submit a brief cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Do not contact us by phone.