Director, Marketing and Donor Participation
University of Pennsylvania
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News and World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and a wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
The Development and Alumni Relations organization at the University of Pennsylvania is one of the premier development organizations in the world.
Penn’s Development and Alumni Relations (DAR) team members benefit from an exceptional work environment where professional excellence and individual pride in achievement are grounded in a strong institutional commitment to integrity and collegiality as we strive for collective success. For talented and innovative individuals, a career at the University of Pennsylvania offers the chance to be part of an exceptionally exciting environment at the nation’s first university.
We seek talented individuals who will constitute a community that draws on the strength that comes with a substantive institutional commitment to diversity. Diversity is prized at Penn as a central component of our mission and helps create an educational and working environment that best supports the University’s commitment to excellence in teaching, research, and scholarship.
Penn’s commitment to achieving eminence through diversity is ultimately a commitment to creating a more vibrant university so that our employees will be both stimulated and empowered to shape a better world. See here for more information.
Established in 1927, The Penn Fund, Penn’s undergraduate annual giving fund, serves as the primary philanthropic vehicle for Penn’s 100,000+ strong community of undergraduate alumni and students. Gifts to The Penn Fund benefit the University’s highest undergraduate priorities through unrestricted support and individual endowed scholarships.
Reporting to the Executive Director of The Penn Fund, the Director of Marketing and Donor Participation is a senior manager. He or she is primarily responsible for developing and executing the Penn Fund’s marketing plan, in coordination with the university development plan, and assisting staff in its implementation and evaluation of its results. He or she oversees the direct appeals program, manages a team of marketing professional and support staff, and works closely with internal partners, the Director of Classes and Reunions and Associate Director for Young Alumni Participation, and external partners the Director of the Parents Program and the Sr. Director of Development for School and Center Annual Giving Support, to create successful fundraising outcomes.
- Provide leadership for the annual strategic planning process, develop the marketing plan for The Penn Fun, monitor plan implementation, and measure results
- Ensure The Penn Fund is utilizing best fund-raising practices, innovative in its approach to fundraising, and consistently measuring results
- Develop segmentation strategies, contact strategies, and messaging that are consistent with the overall objectives of The Penn Fund base on effective research
- Coordinate development and production of all direct mail pieces including the Penn Fund’s listings in People Supporting Penn and The Penn Fund Draft and Final Honor Rolls
- Oversee The Penn Fund’s telemarketing functions in conjunction with the Sr. Director of Development for School and Center Annual Giving Support
- Develop relationships and monitor performance of vendors for the production of mass communication solicitations, stewardship and promotional collateral for The Penn Fund
- Serve as staff writer for solicitations, stewardship and other communications to alumni prospects
- Under the direction of the Executive Director of The Penn Fund, serve as the creative director and brand ambassador for The Penn Fund and coach staff to use images and logos in accordance with department and university standards
- Maintain content on Penn Fund website in conjunction with Assistant Director of Creative Communications
- Integrate new technology – web, Facebook, Twitter, etc., – into the various marketing strategies and channels
- Lead and direct a staff who coordinate direct mail, student and alumni volunteer calling, telemarketing and web/e-communication efforts for The Penn Fund to achieve optimum results by:
- Communicating financial and key performance indicators and results to staff members
- Establishing priorities and goals for all staff
- Managing staffing needs and identifying areas for organizational development updates or changes
- Guiding the talent identification and professional development needs, processes and outcomes within the entire unit in line with the University’s diversity and inclusion priorities
- Setting clear performance expectations and holding staff accountable for outcomes through frequent feedback and coaching
- Ensuring open communications among team members, engaging in team building efforts and holding regular staff meetings that embrace and support the group’s diversity
- Inspiring and motivating staff to achieve optimum results
- Support team’s efforts in the production of direct mail and telemarketing solicitations and communications to increase alumni participation in giving and total dollars raised
- Partner with the Class Giving team on the marketing, communication, and assessment of the class reunion giving programs
- Serve as project manager for direct mail and phone programs, including budget oversight, creative message development, contact strategies (mail and phone segmentation) and monitor results
- Develop a multi-year plan that outlines the priority areas for investment of resources to maximize results of the program
- Develop models to forecast Penn Fund participation rates and dollar goals and monitor progress toward goal attainment
- Devise and execute analysis to track progress toward dollar and donor goals, assess the effectiveness of marketing strategies, and formulate new strategy recommendations
- Manage the creation and archival of weekly, monthly, and annual reports for internal and external benchmarking
- Assist The Penn Fund with the analysis and presentation of TPF results and other projects of an analytical nature as needed
- BA/BS required
- 5 to 7 years experience in direct marketing and/or fundraising required, preferably working with annual funds including direct mail appeals and fundraising related activities
- Proven capability to manage multiple complex projects simultaneously and with little supervision
- High initiative, enthusiasm, flexibility, and effectiveness at working with diverse stakeholders and different functional areas
- Demonstrated superior analytical capabilities and outstanding written and oral communication skills
- At ease with computer spreadsheet and database tools
- Subject matter expert in direct marketing practices and techniques, including test strategies, segmentation strategies, and measurement of results
- Experience with long-range planning, financial reporting, and return-on-investment analysis
- Previous supervisory experience and ability to hire, develop, manage and motivate staff
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team, and to staff and work fundraising events as needed
- Experience in higher education, non-profit organizations, product marketing, business development, or management consulting a plus
- Prior experience working with Adobe Creative Suite and contact management platforms desired
- Driver’s license and occasional evening/weekend hours required
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
How to Apply
How to Apply