Food & Water Watch is a leading national advocacy organization that runs cutting edge organizing campaigns to ban fracking, ensure safe drinking water for all and challenge the corporate control and abuse of our food, water and democracy.
This position will help give strategic direction on crafting a content strategy for our complex digital content and achieve integrated online content and messaging across channels. The Digital Program Director will oversee multiple web sites and social media platforms as well as coordinate closely with our Online Organizing Director to engage our nearly half a million members and leverage our digital properties to build our base of supporters, fundraise and win campaigns.
This position will also manage major new online projects to completion, such as site redesigns and microsite development, and will also have staff management responsibilities.
The Digital Program Director should be a team player, an experienced project manager, and have significant experience managing and integrating web, social media, and other digital properties. Demonstrated knowledge of information architecture and web usability is a plus. The Director will work closely with staff across Food & Water Watch departments, acting as a strategic partner to expand our digital thinking and shape our online presence. It will work closely with our organizers and field communications staff to manage local Facebook and web pages and microsites to ensure content and branding are consistent across all of our social media and online platforms.
The Digital Program Director reports to the Communications Director and will be based in our DC office.
- Lead in development of digital content strategy for the organization.
- Ensure our web and social media properties are leveraged to build our base of supporters, raise donations and drive advocacy actions.
- Evaluate and analyze the performance of Food & Water Watch’s digital channels against established goals, and lead in data-driven decision-making.
- Write and create engaging content for all of Food & Water Watch’s digital channels tailored to our target audiences.
- Manage and curate Food & Water Watch’s deep research content and program and policy expertise to optimize engagement from multiple online audiences.
- Build and foster a strong partnership between offline and online program staff to achieve organizational goals.
- Help grow Food & Water Watch’s reputation as a digital leader.
- Directly manage digital staff within the Communications Department and provide digital leadership to online staff across departments in deep collaboration with our Online Organizing Director. Work in close collaboration with all online staff to ensure deep integration of online content and to achieve shared goals.
- Oversee FWW’s content strategy to ensure that our extensive content is presented to maximize its impact and reach, with an understanding of how best to use our web resources to achieve our goals and reach our target audiences online.
- Spearhead process for major strategy decisions affecting the website and social media, such as developing a mobile site, micro-sites, future redesigns, technology choices and content strategy.
- Remain well-versed in current standards, best practices, and new trends in online technology and recommend where our digital properties can benefit from them.
- Promote a culture of testing and manage ongoing A/B testing to optimize digital properties.
- Develop policies and procedures for managing website design, content updates, archiving, documentation, etc.
- Work closely with and supervise in-house and third-party developers and contractors and identify issues with technical performance of website and Convio integration and find solutions where needed.
- Write functional specifications and RFPs for external developers relating to web projects.
- Identify and implement digital activities that improve user experience and engagement.
- Oversee tracking, reporting, testing and analysis of web activity, social media, and other online activity to monitor success of content strategy.
- Monitor search rankings for FWW web properties, and ensure that all web content is SEO optimized.
- Participate in message development for Food & Water Watch institutional identity and for campaigns.
- Ensure that staff are well trained on web and social media tools as required. Promote strong adoption of online tools and cross-team collaboration on the use of those tools.
- Other duties as required.
- Education: College degree required.
- Applicant must be legally eligible to work in the Unites States of America.
- Technical Knowledge Required: We are seeking applicants with web technology skills (including extensive experience working with content management systems) and experience in editorial management.
- Expertise in using Facebook, Twitter and other emerging social media sites (Reddit, Pinterest, etc.) required. Understanding of web development and knowledge of HTML is strongly desired.
- Knowledge of Google Analytics, WordPress, Microsoft Office Suite and a strong familiarity with website information architecture and usability are also strongly desired. Success creating mobile-optimized content and Facebook API and Twitter API knowledge a plus, but not required.
- Other Experience and Skills: Five or more years of successful content strategy experience and/or online journalism experience, with experience managing staff; experience in an advocacy environment, preferably at a mid-sized and/or growing organization.
- Demonstrated social media management & project management experience including experience creating processes and initiating data driven decision making; demonstrated ability to work across teams and enable strong interdepartmental relationships; and strong organizational, written and verbal communications skills (including ability to explain technical concepts to non-technical decision makers) and interpersonal skills, including a sense of humor.
- Experience in a Mac environment a plus.
- Conditions: Strong interest in and commitment to promoting the goals of Food & Water Watch. Long hours possible.
Competitive salary. We offer an excellent benefits package that includes 100% employer paid medical/dental/long-term disability, 403(b) retirement plan, and generous paid leave.