Digital & Media Relations Officer
Pathfinder International is driven by the conviction that all people, regardless of where they live, have the right to decide whether and when to have children, to exist free from fear and stigma, and to lead the lives they choose. Since 1957, we have partnered with local governments, communities, and health systems in developing countries to remove barriers to critical sexual and reproductive health services. Together, we expand access to contraception, promote healthy pregnancies, save women’s lives, and stop the spread of new HIV infections, wherever the need is most urgent. Our work ensures millions of women, men, and young people are able to choose their own paths forward.
Digital & Media Relations Officer
Location: Washington, DC or Watertown, MA
A strategic operator, fluent in social media and online community management, this role supports Pathfinder’s overall digital communication and marketing strategy by creating and executing rich media campaigns across all Pathfinder digital platforms. Develops and executes proactive strategies engaging online supporters and media targets in Pathfinder priorities, storytelling, and other content developed by the team. As part of the digital marketing and communications team, this position will also be responsible for measurement, analysis, recommendations, and optimization for maximum efficacy in our digital communications and marketing.
Key Job Outcomes:
- Social Media Management: Create and execute high-quality social media plans, including channel and content strategies and campaigns, with an emphasis on setting strategic growth and cultivation goals and refining digital messaging and engagement strategies.
- Online Community Management: Jump into real-time social media conversations to build awareness and brand support. Interact with, nurture, and grow Pathfinder’s online community.
- Media Relations: Develop and execute proactive strategies for developing and engaging media contacts through social media channels. Track news coverage on Pathfinder and the sexual and reproductive health industry and join in the conversations online. Maintain a list of key media contacts for core Pathfinder issues and establish positive working relationships with multi-platform editors, reporters, bloggers, industry groups, and other media contacts.
- Content Development: Develop, edit, and modify high-quality, on-brand, and engaging content for use on social media, digital, and web properties.
- Reporting and Metrics: Track Pathfinder’s footprint online and the relevant information and metrics to accurately and meaningfully produce key performance indicators (KPIs) to measure impact and success. Regularly monitor digital trends and results. Perform digital content audits and present digital content gap analysis to increase and improve the inventory of digital content. Measure effectiveness of content marketing initiatives, optimize and provide business insight for ongoing improvement.
- Project Management and Participation: Lead, manage, or participate in cross-functional project teams. Collaborate with Pathfinder Communications team to develop a media strategy, activities, calendar, news releases, talking points, and more.
Minimally Required Job-Specific Competencies:
- Marketing and Communications Principles and Practices: Skilled writing and copy editing for all digital formats including website content, headline copy, blog narrative, social media posts, and video narration. Intermediate knowledge of applying standards, guidelines, and best practices to digital and social media marketing and communications efforts.
- Social Media: Advanced skills in social media strategy, growth, and execution both in day-to-day and campaign contexts.
- Media Relations and digital community management: Proven ability and experience in building productive relationships with multi-platform editors, reporters, bloggers, industry groups, and other media contacts.
- Job-Specific Software Applications: Mastery of knowledge of contemporary software applications for web-based solutions, social media platforms, and apps. Experience with content management systems and familiarity with HTML required. Previous experience with digital design applications required. Ability to edit video strongly preferred. Knowledge of and experience using digital analytics tools and SEO strongly required.
- Project Planning and Management: Proven ability to manage and implement cross-functional initiatives.
- Reporting and Analytics: Advanced skills in reading and interpreting data for reporting. Proven ability to generate and present standard digital analytics.
- Visual and Design Skills: Mastery of digital visual and design standards.
- Communications Tools: Mastery of knowledge of online and digital media communications tools. Proficiency in creating and working with graphics.
- Presentation Skills: Proven ability to make presentations to small and large groups.
Minimally Required Organizational Competencies:
- Software Applications: Advanced knowledge of Microsoft products, including MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook.
- Analysis and Sound Judgment: Advanced analytical and troubleshooting skills. Ability to make sound judgments. Ability to improve processes, promote excellence, and demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness.
- Languages: Proven ability to write and speak using the English language.
- Communication: Advanced oral and written communication skills using different forms of media. Ability to translate complex concepts to individuals at all levels.
- Passion for Sexual and Reproductive Health Services: Demonstrated commitment to family planning, reproductive health services, gender, maternal, child health services, and eradication of harmful traditional practices
- Influencing and Customer Service Skills: Proven ability to influence using diplomacy skills with key stakeholders. Advanced customer service skills.
- Organization, Planning, and Multi-tasking: Advanced organizational and planning skills, project planning and management skills. Proven ability to set priorities, meet deadlines and multi-task with minimal supervision. Proven ability to coordinate activities.
- Self-Management and Teamwork: Ability to work independently or as a member of the team, ability to be detailed-oriented and consistently accurate, ability to manage stress effectively in a fast-paced environment, ability to quickly learn new systems, processes and procedures, and ability to adapt local practices to global standards.
- Matrix Management: Ability to thrive in a matrixed organization.
- Confidentiality: Proven ability to maintain confidentiality on work-related issues.
Required Education, Training, and Experience:
- BS or BA in computer science, multimedia journalism, communications, graphic design, visual arts, marketing, or a related field required
- 5 years of related work experience
- Work experience in Media relations
- Work experience in managing organizational social media platforms
- Work experience with a multinational organization
- Prefer: French or Portuguese language skills
- Uses cellular and desk phone; laptop or desktop computer
- Maybe accountable for the performance and workload assignment of external consultants and vendors
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
How to Apply
Submit resume and cover letter through Pathfinder’s Job Site