Digital Marketing Specialist
Union of Concerned Scientists
Cambridge, MA (preferred) or Washington, DC Office
The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) is an independent national nonprofit whose scientists and engineers work to solve some of our planet’s most pressing environmental and safety problems. UCS combines technical analysis and effective organizing and advocacy to create innovative, practical solutions for stemming the tide of global warming, sustainable food policy and agriculture, energy and transportation, fighting misinformation, and reducing the threat of catastrophic nuclear war.
Science is too often sidelined from important public decisionmaking by people with something to gain…here’s your chance to push back. UCS is looking for a creative digital marketer to help create the advertising campaigns and grassroots messaging needed to inspire people to take action to defend science, help stop global warming, and protect the planet.
This integral member of the UCS digital engagement team will be overall responsible for managing the organization’s digital marketing, online activist recruitment, and SMS programs to best maximize visibility for UCS and our issues, engage supporters in our campaigns, and contribute to campaign impact. In addition, the Digital Marketing Specialist will assist in ensuring the effectiveness of our email advocacy strategy by working with campaign staff to edit outgoing action alerts and email content, ensuring organizational messaging consistency and maximizing supporter engagement.
- Work with program and communications staff to conceptualize digital marketing efforts to raise the visibility of our campaigns, outreach efforts, reports, and experts and engage supporters in our work.
- Work with development and outside consultants collaboratively to conceptualize, review, and monitor Google AdWords, search, re-marketing, social media, and donor recruitment digital advertising.
- Work with program, communications, and development staff to conceptualize and implement SMS campaigns that will engage our supporters and contribute to campaign impact.
- Ensure proper tracking of all needed metrics for evaluating the results of our digital marketing efforts.
- Work with Data Analyst to run reports on our digital marketing program and SMS/text program to evaluate efforts and make strategic recommendations for future efforts.
- Edit action alerts, ensuring all messages are engaging and optimized for conversion.
- Review online forms to ensure they are optimized for conversion, trackable, and recording data properly in the online CRM.
- Manage UCS organizational email list health to ensure high deliverability rates on messages.
- Develop and execute annual plans to recruit new activists and email subscribers for the organization.
- Work closely with Director of Engagement and Online Engagement Manager to coordinate messaging and outreach across communications channels.
Keep abreast of vendor updates to online tools and best practices in online marketing and assist in updating user manuals and tips sheets for UCS staff.
Qualifications and Experience
Must have a proven track record of developing and implementing effective online advocacy and marketing campaigns. Position requires excellent copywriting and editing skills for advocacy, email, and digital marketing messages. Proven ability to analyze metrics and make strategic decisions based on results. Outstanding attention to detail, creativity, and ability to work well in a team environment and independently is essential. Capacity to manage multiple projects and deadlines with ease. Professional web experience, knowledge of HTML, and solid experience working in a content management and constituent relationship management system is required. Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience is required.
Position requires a minimum of three to five years of comparable-level experience including five years of experience in online activism and digital marketing. Proven ability to engage online constituents and grow online supporter lists.
May spend extended periods at a computer terminal. Some minimal overnight travel may be required per year.
At UCS, comparable training and/or experience can be substituted for degrees when appropriate.
UCS is an equal opportunity employer continually seeking to diversify its staff. In particular, we’re dedicated to broadening opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences and in environmental advocacy. We’re also committed to building an inclusive workplace culture where talented people of widely diverse backgrounds can thrive. We’ve adopted this commitment because we believe the inclusion of culturally diverse perspectives will improve our work and produce better societal and environmental outcomes for all, including historically disenfranchised communities. We are actively seeking people who bring diverse backgrounds and perspectives to join us in this work.
Compensation, Hours and Location: This is a full-time position based in UCS’s Cambridge, MA (preferred) or Washington, DC office. For those who meet all position requirements, the salary is around $52,500. UCS offers excellent benefits and a rewarding work environment. Information about the organization is available at http://www.ucsusa.org