Digital Manager and Storyteller
League of American Orchestras
The League of American Orchestras leads, supports, and champions America’s orchestras and the vitality of the music they perform. Its diverse membership of more than 2,000 organizations and individuals across North America runs the gamut from world-renowned symphonies to community groups, from summer festivals to student and youth ensembles, from conservatories to libraries, from businesses serving orchestras to individuals who love symphonic music. The only national organization dedicated solely to the orchestral experience, the League is a nexus of knowledge and innovation, advocacy, and leadership advancement. Its conferences and events, award-winning Symphony magazine, website, and other publications inform people around the world about orchestral activity and developments. Founded in 1942 and chartered by Congress in 1962, the League links a national network of thousands of instrumentalists, conductors, managers and administrators, board members, volunteers, and business partners.
The Digital Manager and Storyteller reports to the Director of Membership and Marketing with a dotted line report to the Director of Media Relations and Communications, works collaboratively with all departments, and is responsible for the day-to-day management of the League’s website, creating and disseminating the organization’s digital communications, and maintaining a strong presence on social media platforms. The position is part of the Communications department.
- Maintain organization’s website and assist with development of a new website in collaboration with the VP of Marketing and Communications.
- Create and refine digital media that capture the impact and tone of League programs. Collaborate in the development of and execute digital media strategies across multiple platforms, identifying opportunities to grow the League digital media presence and audience.
- These platforms include, but are not limited to, the League website, associated microsites, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, and Gather Voices.
- In collaboration with Communications department staff and internal clients, ensure digital media tactics are delivered and are on time.
- Report and analyze site and social media analytics using Google Analytics, Facebook Insights, Twitter Analytics, and other social media aggregators.
- Design, send, and track e-communications through the organization’s email client, Real Magnet.
- Lead and manage development of the mobile application for the National Conference including basic programming, content publishing, and working with partner developers.
- Assist in identifying and upholding benchmarks for engagement across all web platforms.
- Co-create and disseminate video collateral for the marketing and review of League programs and initiatives.
- Other duties as assigned.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required.
- Intermediate skills in in HTML and CSS.
- Fluency in operation of content management systems (CMS), WordPress preferred. (Gutenberg a plus). (Joomla, from which we are moving, also a plus!)
- Experience with the design, dissemination, and tracking of email campaigns through an e-mail service provider, Real Magnet preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of search engine optimization (SEO) as well as best practices across social media platforms.
- Knowledge of analytics tools including Google Analytics and social media aggregators.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and collaborations simultaneously.
- Basic experience with video editing software.
- Strong writing skills.
- A personal commitment to a collaborative workstyle, professionalism, and the core mission of the League.
- At least three years of experience in marketing, communications, and digital media.
- Bachelors preferred.
- A strong command of proofreading and copy-editing practices.
- Graphic design experience, specifically photo editing
- A desire to contribute to the strategic and creative development of the League’s marketing and branding efforts for membership and programmatic development.
- Aptitude to stay connected with current marketing and media trends.
- Familiarity with project management software, AirTable preferred.
- A background or familiarity with orchestras.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should include a sample of their work in PDF format or through hyperlinks; a cover letter including salary requirements; and a resume. Please address these to Celeste Wroblewski, Vice President, Marketing & Communications, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Digital Media Manager” in the subject line. No phone calls please.