At the Center for Biological Diversity, we believe that the welfare of human beings is deeply linked to nature ‘ to the existence in our world of a vast diversity of wild animals and plants. Because diversity has intrinsic value, and because its loss impoverishes society, we work to secure a future for all species, great and small, hovering on the brink of extinction. We do so through science, law and creative media, with a focus on protecting the lands, waters and climate that species need to survive.
We want those who come after us to inherit a world where the wild is still alive.
The Center is currently looking for a full-time Digital Director for our Communications Program. This position has a preferred location of Tucson, Arizona with other locations considered.
General position overview:
The nonprofit Center for Biological Diversity seeks an experienced, strategic, creative, data-driven Digital Director to lead, expand and manage our large, dynamic and rapidly growing digital system for activist engagement and fundraising. The director will work with a robust, experienced, vibrant team of developers, data analysts, communications experts, organizers and fundraisers to: maintain and elevate the Center’s already successful digital presence; increase and diversify the Center’s rapidly growing base of 1.1 million members and supporters to several million; and optimize engagement.
Primary focus will be creating and leveraging a highly-effective, cohesive and integrated digital experience across all platforms, identifying and executing viable new digital strategies, and day-to-day management of our email programs, web site, mobile presence and social media with a strong emphasis on long-term data metrics aimed at maximizing our political impact and fundraising. Other key duties include development, strategy and support for member retention programs, tracking users across multiple platforms, as well as list recruitment, cultivation and engagement.
The job requires significant experience in digital organizing, a proven track-record of leading and executing creative and effective digital campaigns, excellent writing and editing skills, demonstrated experience in data tracking and management, and a passion for leading efforts to mobilize people to action. Our Digital Director will be a thought leader in digital strategies and be on top of best practices and emerging trends, technologies and implementation strategies.
The Digital Director will be managed by the Communications Director and work in close collaboration with our conservation/organizing leaders, Chief Development Officer, Membership Director and other communications, development and conservation staff.
- Lead the expansion and enhancement of our digital performance on mobile devices, including the improvement of activism, fundraising and engagement.
- Manage our email systems (action alerts, e-newsletter, fund-raising appeals) and social media platforms to both optimize and maximize activism and fundraising.
- Enhance and expand systems for list recruitment, curation, retention and segmentation with an emphasis on improving performance.
- Work closely with conservation and organizing staff to strategize, develop and then lead execution of digital campaigns aligning with conservation work.
- Ensure that our digital platforms (email, mobile, social media and web) are integrated and maximizing the strengths of each.
- Develop a deep working knowledge of member and activist data, strategize best practices for data analysis, investigate potential benefits of additional segmentation and targeting while ensuring the overall health and digital vitality of all supporters in support of overall Center priorities.
- Analyze digital performance of all platforms, develop and implement recommendations for improvement, including ongoing monitoring of emerging digital platforms to determine which would be beneficial for the Center.
Essential qualities, qualifications and skills:
- A passionate drive to become a national leader in digital strategy and tactics in the environmental movement.
- Deep and demonstrated experience with email platforms (Salsa preferred but not required), web development, social media and mobile technologies.
- Ability to structure and analyze complex data sets.
- At least five years’ experience working on multi-platform digital campaigns that engage, mobilize and activate.
- Minimum associate’s or bachelor’s degree.
- Exceptional written and communications skills.
- Strong strategic-planning skills linking on-the-ground activism with digital platforms.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and with a team.
- Excellent ability to balance multiple tasks and deadlines in a busy environment.
- Proven project-management experience with short- and long-term assignments, including creation and implementation of digital campaigns.
- Paid generous medical, dental and vision plan.
- Paid STD and LTD.
- 403(b) plan with opportunity for match.
- Generous time off policies.
- Relaxed work atmosphere and dress code.
Please apply online by submitting a thoughtful cover letter and resume. The position will remain open until filled. No telephone calls, please. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The Center for Biological Diversity deeply values, and is committed to sustaining and promoting, both biological and cultural diversity. We welcome, embrace and respect diversity of people, identities and cultures. We are committed to fostering an organizational culture of diversity and inclusion. The Center believes staff and board diversity is critical to saving life on Earth.
We are an equal opportunity employer.