Catholic Relief Services
Title: Digital Developer
Internal Title: Specialist I
Reports To: Manager, Web Developing
Department: Digital Marketing and Communication
Job Type: Full-Time
Location: Baltimore, MD
Want to put your CMS, PHP, HTML and CSS experience to work making the world a better place? Then Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is looking for you!
CRS’s digital team builds, maintains, and optimizes CRS’s flagship website (crs.org), and supporting microsites. CRS’s web properties are essential to our two-part mission (promote human development by responding to major emergencies, fighting disease and poverty, and nurturing peaceful and just societies; and, serve Catholics in the US as they live their faith in solidarity with their brothers and sisters around the world).
We are seeking a PHP/WordPress/Drupal developer to work under our senior developer who will ensure these sites are healthy, up-to-date, and continually optimized. The ideal candidate will be able to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment, welcome new challenges, and demonstrate technical skills and the desire to refine them.
- Create/update pages and templates, configure Drupal modules/WordPress plugins, build new features, and integrate third-party tools as needed
- Ensure consistent quality by thoroughly running test scripts, conducting quality assurance (QA) testing, and participating in user acceptance testing (UAT)
- As needed for new microsite builds: Reviewing specs, wireframes, and mock-ups to catch potential issues before build phases begin
- Troubleshoot security issues for and maintain the performance of our suite of microsites
- Research options and make recommendations the team can implement to solve business problems and optimize our sites
- 2+ years of experience developing websites using Drupal and WordPress
- Fluency with Drupal 7.x; common Drupal modules; Views, Features, and Panels; and the core API (application program interface)
- Experience implementing responsive web design
- Experience with front-end debugging tools, and a strong understanding of rendering differences between browsers, devices, and operating systems
- Basic understanding of Agile project management
- Basic understanding of information architecture best practices
- Basic understanding of SEO best practices
- Basic understanding of performance optimization techniques
- Write code that you’ll be proud of in the future
- Explore unfamiliar frameworks, technologies, and software packages with excitement
- Teach your colleagues what you know
- Show follow-through, efficiency, and attention to detail.
- Manage multiple projects with varying deadlines in a complex work environment
- Ensure projects are on time, on budget, and within scope
- Proactively seek out optimization opportunities and recommend ongoing improvements
- Communicate technical solutions to non-technical audiences
- Spanish speaking a plus
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Accountability & Stewardship
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Strategic Mindset
Key Working Relationships
Internal: Creative services, communications, domestic outreach, charitable giving/fundraising, advocacy, overseas operations
External: Vendors and consultants as needed
What we offer
CRS offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, life insurance, vision, generous retirement savings plan and the opportunity to work in a collaborative, mission-driven culture that is committed to improving the lives of the poor throughout the world.
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
EOE/M/F/D/V – CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How to Apply