We are currently seeking a digital communicator to help us use our website and social media to mobilize people and support our campaigns. The Digital Content Associate will help Food & Water Watch’s digital team keep our website and social media channels populated with engaging, action-oriented content to help us reach new audiences and cultivate stronger relationships with our supporters, activists, and donors. They will monitor and contribute to the conversation around our issues, engage in one-on-one conversations with supporters, and respond rapidly to breaking news. Above all, they will help mobilize our base on digital channels to take action, donate, and ultimately help win campaigns.
Our ideal candidate is social media-savvy and a strong writer with interest in gaining experience in the digital space, who is also passionate about Food & Water Watch’s issues. This position reports to the Digital Engagement Specialist and will be based in Washington, DC.
- Under direction from senior management, create and post creative, engaging, goal-oriented content to our website and social media accounts to tie into ongoing Food & Water Watch campaigns and capitalize on current events.
- Post timely updates on Food & Water Watch’s website and social media.
- Build and maintain a robust presence for Food & Water Watch on multiple social media channels.
- Brainstorm creative new ideas for how to work with new audiences and increase our usage of digital storytelling.
- Work with the digital team to implement strategies to grow our online supporter base, mobilize our current supporters, and influence key audiences to win our campaigns for clean water and safe food.
- Represent Food & Water Watch on social media by monitoring and responding to comments and questions from supporters, press, and other individuals or organizations talking about us and/or our issues.
- Build relationships with online influencers with the goal of expanding FWW’s reach.
- Track and analyze the performance of our content to identify trends, opportunities, and lessons learned.
- Identify relevant, engaging content from other sources to share on our channels.
- Stay informed about new developments and emerging best practices in social media, and experiment strategically with new features and tools.
- Support other communications team activities, such as taking photos at events, helping with rapid response for local and national campaigns, and other responsibilities as needed.
- Strong interest in Food & Water Watch issues and commitment to social change.
- Applicant must be legally eligible to work in the United States of America.
- Excellent writing and time management skills as well as strong computer skills.
- At least 1 year of experience in social media, website content management or other digital organizing, especially managing an organizational presence online. Experience with a non-profit advocacy organization is preferred.
- Deep familiarity with managing Facebook and Twitter is essential; experience with Instagram, Snapchat, LinkedIn, Google+ and other social networks is a plus.
- Experience in measuring and evaluating the performance of online content using tools like Facebook Insights or Google Analytics is a plus.
- Strong customer service-oriented communications skills and ability to converse and build relationships with supporters while remaining professional and on-message.
- Experience responding to critical posts on behalf of an organization, in coordination with other relevant staff, is a plus.
- Comfort working both independently, in a team, and with colleagues throughout the organization.
- Ability to take creative direction, juggle multiple simultaneous projects and manage competing priorities, including responding quickly to breaking news.
- Passion for using new digital tools and tactics to create social change, and interest in sharing that passion with teammates.
- Experience creating shareable images for social media, including using graphic design software (Photoshop) is a plus.
- Experience with photography, creating or editing videos or creating podcasts is a plus.
- Sense of humor and ability to work effectively under pressure.
- Other duties as assigned.
Competitive salary. We offer an excellent benefits package that includes 100% employer paid medical/dental/long-term disability, 403(b) retirement plan, and generous paid leave.