Digital Communications Officer
MSI-US helps women and girls access contraception and safe abortion in 37 countries worldwide through fundraising, media outreach and digital engagement in the United States. MSI-US supports the global Marie Stopes International (MSI) mission through campaigns that build the MSI brand, increasing donations and engaging key audiences to advance the sexual and reproductive rights of women and girls, and expanding public understanding of why contraception and safe abortion are fundamental building blocks of sustainable development.
The MSI-US communications team works closely with MSI’s corporate communications in London to amplify our collective efforts, achieve integrated communications and ensure brand coherence. MSI-US is a registered US 501(C)(3) organization.
The Digital Communications Officer is a key role on the MSI-US team, with responsibility for promoting the organization’s work and impact across a range of external channels, including social media, MSI-US digital properties, and email campaigns. S/he will proactively create and deliver high-impact communications content and campaigns that enhance the standing and influence of MSI-US among key audiences, including donors and progressive groups. S/he will be involved from creation through completion of these campaigns, including strategy, copy, design, back-end platform build, launch and analysis.
- Curate and activate MSI-US social and digital presence.
- Create high-quality, effective and engaging content that reflects MSI-US’ integrated communications approach and distribute it across the organization’s digital channels, including website, social media, robust email program and paid advertising.
- Work alongside the Head of US Communications to deliver social media and digital strategies and work plans focused on engaging progressive and influential audiences in the US.
- Using raw photos, video and client interviews, craft compelling stories and graphics for diverse audiences that demonstrate the impact of our work.
- Help maintain and grow the MSI-US website. Including: Manage the website editorial calendar, create original content to ensure website is up-to-date and relevant, manage technical issues, and troubleshooting with external web firm.
- Write blog content, curate client stories and maintain editorial calendar for MSI-US Medium publication.
- Drive e-newsletter content, contact lists and audience segmentation.
- Work closely with the Development Team, Head of US Communications and external consultants to deliver digital fundraising plans and content reflective of MSI-US integrated communications. This includes email marketing campaigns with integrated landing pages for website and social media.
- Regularly create social media content and monitor engagement with MSI-US content.
- Create basic graphics for social media and digital properties using Adobe Creative Suite and/or Canva.
- Produce ongoing digital analytics reports and use the information to inform decisions on website, social media, and e-newsletter content.
- Support the development of print collateral pieces as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 3-5 years of work experience in marketing or communications, with a focus on digital content creation, strategy development, and engagement.
- Demonstrable track record in writing compelling material for a wide range of platforms and stakeholders – articles, newsletters and case study stories.
- Experience using digital and social media channels to engage progressive and influential audiences including Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and Medium.
- Experience with producing and analyzing reports for websites and other digital communications platforms, including social media insights, Google Analytics, and email marketing reports using industry benchmarks and KPIs to compare performance.
- Relevant Bachelor’s degree.
- Outstanding English writing skills for a variety of platforms and audiences. All applicants will be required to undergo a written evaluation as part of the recruitment process.
- A solid understanding of current affairs, the reproductive rights agenda and the international development agenda.
- Excellent news sense and the skills to identify proactive opportunities for digital communications that support the organization’s objectives.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite and/or Canva.
- Strong working knowledge of website content management (preferably WordPress), e-newsletter programs (preferably MailChimp) and social media platforms.
- Deadline oriented and well organized.
- Professional and personable; must be a team player with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Experience working in the reproductive justice and/or international development sector.
- Strong creative vision for digital engagement strategy, content and graphics.
- Comfortable interpreting and understanding program data.
MSI exists to provide women and girls with access to contraception and safe abortion so they can achieve their goals and dreams. We have an unwavering commitment to reproductive choice, and our team members do whatever it takes to ensure that every woman can choose if and when to have children. We also put our clients at the center of everything we do and offer each client personalized services based on her individual needs. Qualified candidates for this position will unwaveringly support and embrace our vision, values, and mission.
Our dedicated professionals are enthusiastic, adaptable, empathetic and positive. They thrive in an atmosphere of dynamic challenges in their work, are personally motivated to succeed, and enjoy being part of a global team working to make a difference in women’s lives around the world. Confident, resourceful and action-oriented, our people are focused on delivering high-impact programs in collaboration with our donors to ensure our clients around the world receive the highest quality services.
MSI-US is an equal opportunity employer and offers a competitive salary and employee benefits, including 5 weeks annual leave, generous sick time, employer paid medical benefits, 403(b) retirement plan contribution, paid parental leave and a commuter subsidy program. We support a work-life balance and an individual’s desire to learn beyond the experience gained at work through both personal and professional development and growth opportunities.
**This is a one-year fixed-term position, with contract renewal dependent on grant funding.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter outlining why you are a good fit for the position.
Attach a current resume and digital content samples (blog post or social media portfolio, for example).
Email applications should be sent to MSI-US@mariestopes.org with Digital Communications Officer in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
We strongly suggest looking at our website and Medium publication to become familiar with our organization and mission.
How to Apply
- Please send a cover letter outlining why you are a good fit for the position. Attach a current resume and digital content samples (blog post or social media portfolio, for example).
- Email applications should be sent to MSI-US@mariestopes.org with Digital Communications Officer in the subject line. No phone calls please. We strongly suggest looking at our website and Medium publication to become familiar with our organization and mission.