ACLU of Washington
The American Civil Liberties Union of Washington (ACLU-WA) is seeking a detail-oriented Development Assistant. Reporting to the Development Manager, the Development Assistant is an integral part of the Development Department, processing and acknowledging donations and responding to member inquiries. This job demands close attention to detail and accuracy.
The ACLU of Washington is a leader among state affiliates of the American Civil Liberties Union, the country’s premier guardian of liberty. We work in courts, legislatures, and communities to protect and extend American rights to freedom, fairness and equality. The ACLU is both nonprofit and nonpartisan. The ACLU-WA’s staff of 40+ employees and numerous volunteers work in a fast-paced, friendly and professional office in downtown Seattle. We are supported by more than 135,000 members, activists, and donors.
Our Development Program focuses on building long-term relationships with our donors. We are a team of five who care deeply about the work of the ACLU. We very much enjoy working together and stay easily inspired by our amazing program colleagues who carry out the work of justice and equality.
The ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, socio-economic circumstance, or record of arrest or conviction.
Data Entry and Gift Processing – 75%
· Enter gifts and pledges into the donor database.
· Prepare timely acknowledgment letters.
· Maintain electronic files of acknowledgment letters, scans of checks, and donor correspondence.
· Ensures donor records accurately reflect their information.
· Update volunteer and employee accounts.
· Flag duplicate accounts for combining.
Financial Reconciliation Support – 5%
· Runs reports and provides support for the monthly and annual financial reconciliation in collaboration with accounting and the National office.
· Manages credit card reconciliation for the Development Director and Major Gift Officer.
Customer Service – 20%
· Act as the first point of contact in the Development Department for calls from supporters.
· Respond to supporter inquiries.
· Contact donors about donations when necessary.
· Act as a proxy for the National membership department.
- Strong organizational skills and superior attention to detail with strong follow-through.
- Excellent computer proficiency, including Word and Excel. Strong proficiency in Salesforce or other CRMs is a plus.
- A commitment to the confidentiality of donor records.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- A commitment to respectful and compassionate customer service.
- Ability to take initiative and work independently, as well as work as a member of a team.
- A commitment to the ACLU’s mission.
- Prior administrative experience preferred.
- Ideal candidates will have an awareness of, and willingness to engage in, the difficult and transformative work of challenging systems of oppression, institutional and structural racism, and implicit bias.
This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU reserves the right to change the description and/or posting at any time without advance notice. This position is “non-exempt” under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary is $45,000. Benefits include three weeks of vacation to start, medical and disability insurance, a retirement plan, and an ORCA card.
The ACLU-WA values our assistants as essential to the organization. As such, we are pleased to offer a path for assistants to grow into increased responsibilities and compensation. We support continued learning and provide five paid work days for professional development opportunities a year.
To apply, email a letter of application and resume to Jobs@aclu-wa.org and include in the subject line of the email: your last name and Development Assistant. In your letter, please indicate where you learned of the posting. Applications will be accepted until August 9, 2019, at which time the job announcement will be removed from our website at www.aclu-wa.org/careers.
The ACLU of Washington comprises two separate corporate entities, the American Civil Liberties Union of Washington, Inc. and the American Civil Liberties Union of Washington Foundation. The two corporations share the same overall mission, office space, and employees. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “ACLU of Washington”.
How to Apply