Data Science Specialist
Join a growing team of data professionals who are committed to using data science for good. As a Data Science Specialist at VentureWell you will create resources to help mission driven leaders visualize their impact in addressing the world’s most intractable challenges related to entrepreneurship and innovation in technology and sciences. We are looking for a colleague who is energized by empowering teams to share the “big picture” of their outcomes by wearing a consultative hat and guiding them through structuring and managing their data to enable using data for meaning making.
To be successful in this role you must enjoy working collaboratively, thinking strategically and creatively, and have the ability to make clear connections between your work and equity and justice in the implementation of our programs. You also enjoy establishing metrics, stewarding data, and continuing to stay abreast of the latest in data science. This role is an integral part of a team that prioritizes learning and experimentation, along with opportunities to evolve and grow into a specialization of interest. Our new Data Science Specialist will report to our Director of Data Systems.
VentureWell is on a mission to cultivate a pipeline of inventors, innovators, and entrepreneurs driven to solve the world’s biggest challenges and to create lasting impact. We foster collaboration among the best minds from research labs, classrooms, and beyond to advance innovation and entrepreneurship education and to provide unique opportunities for STEM students and researchers to fully realize their potential to improve the world.
Over the past 25 years, we’ve trained more than 3,000 early-stage innovation teams and helped launch over 850 ventures that have raised close to $1 billion in public and private investments. These ventures have reached millions of people in over 50 countries with technological advancements in fields such as biotechnology, healthcare, sustainable energy and materials, and solutions for low-resource settings.
VentureWell is committed to advancing equity both internally with staff, and externally through our programming and engagement with the science & technology innovation and entrepreneurship communities. We are seeking staff equally committed to this work, who are engaged in issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion, who will be excited to add to our culture and our impact.
As a federal contractor, VentureWell requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (and provide specified documentation of their vaccination status) as a condition of employment, subject to approved religious or medical accommodations provided in accordance with applicable law.
In this role you will:
- Develop intimate knowledge of assigned program area(s) to lead data management within the first 3 months on the team
- Engage with programmatic staff to create trusting consultative relationships that lead to deepened understanding of their data needs
- Build deep knowledge of our data architecture and integrate new programmatic data
- Steward data through performing quality assurance processes, in collaboration with other data team members, to ensure the integrity of data
- Create compelling data products (e.g. data exports, visualizations) and share them using language that stakeholders understand
- Provide quick responses to data requests using your knowledge of program-related data assets
- Develop and contribute to codebases (e.g. data pipeline, reporting automations) with the goal of improving organizational efficiency and data accuracy
- Serve as a resource for best practices in data collection and management for internal departments
- Create reproducible data merging procedures to bring together data from disparate sources
- Collaborate with other team members to ensure that the relational integrity of data structures are maintained and contribute to future design
- Provide end user instruction and support in finding and using data for organizational needs
- Proactively seek out information from colleagues and other sources to gain knowledge and context for projects
- Contribute to an organization that is invested in making the world a better place through supporting innovation and social entrepreneurship
- 5 years or more of relevant experience with data management and use
- Moderate to advanced experience authoring codebases in R and/or Python, with an eye for reproducibility and modular design (e.g., data pipeline, interactive dashboards)
- Ability to incorporate the following cloud based tools into day to day work: GSuite, Salesforce, team collaboration/communication tools, and other web-based applications
- Knowledge of basic statistics (descriptive) required; advanced knowledge is preferred
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to organize and package data with attention to detail and accuracy
- Experience with CRM and/or relational databases, experience with Salesforce.com a plus
- Enjoy and have the ability to:
- “Play in the Sandbox” learn new technologies and applications quickly for specific project needs
- manage your time and multiple projects in a dynamic work environment
- communicate technical concepts to other staff and key stakeholders who have minimal technical skills
- create efficiencies by identifying opportunities to use existing data architecture
- train and support end users
Across the board, VentureWell staff:
- Are able to succeed and thrive in an environment with competing and changing priorities and tight deadlines
- Have track records of and ability to build solid, collaborative working relationships; and are strong team players who enjoy a “customer service” orientation to collaboration
- Are committed to embedding equity in our internal practices and culture and in our programs in order to live and achieve our mission
- Bring openness and engagement to personal, professional, and organization-wide learning on race, class, gender, justice, and equity
- Are curious and committed to issues of environmental sustainability
- Are self-starters with strong attention to detail and a commitment to delivering high quality work
- Are active learners who independently learn new tools and work processes quickly
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills