Data Quality Specialist
Come join a team of dedicated staff at an exceptional time in Smithsonian history. With our Secretary, Lonnie G. Bunch III, who was previously the founding director of the Smithsonian’s National Museum of African American History and Culture, we are positioned to realize our goal of being a truly 21st century museum complex. Following the success of the Smithsonian’s first comprehensive capital campaign, the largest ever undertaken by a cultural organization, the Smithsonian has built a model fundraising organization. This position offers exciting opportunities for the successful candidate to make a significant impact on the future of the Smithsonian. There is no better time to join this amazing Institution.
The Smithsonian Institution’s Office of Advancement seeks a Data Quality Specialist to serve as an integral member of the Advancement Technology Services team. This is a great opportunity for an energetic individual with a passion for data and continuous improvement to play a key role in building support for the world’s largest museum and research complex. The Specialist provides primary support for Data Quality initiatives and manages and executes key data processes in support of the Pan-Institutional Database for Advancement (PANDA), based on Ellucian Advance and used by more than 300 users across the Advancement organization.
The Data Quality Specialist:
- Resolves data issues (e.g. determine whether database records are duplicates, determine the relationship between constituents, identify deceased constituents, etc.) in a timely and accurate manner.
- Directly maintains advancement data both interactively and through interfaces/loads.
- Collaborates with business users across Smithsonian Institution and developers to improve data collection and maintenance processes.
- Participates in identifying and correcting data exceptions.
- Performs both scheduled and ad hoc generation of reports.
- Identifies tasks that are repetitive and do not require review of individual records, participates in automation of those tasks, and supports existing legacy and automated procedures.
- Works closely with the Data Quality Manager to develop, document, and implement best practices and continuously improve data management processes.
Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree, and a minimum of four years of experience maintaining data in large and complex databases. Experience with fundraising as a business, and the Ellucian Advance donor relationship management system, are preferred.
In addition, successful candidates will have:
- Passion for operational excellence and data quality.
- Proficiency in programming languages, including Structured Query Language (SQL) or equivalent.
- Knowledge of best practices in data quality.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Outstanding attention to detail.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Experience with data quality management tools, including Microsoft Excel, etc.
- Proficiency with online research tools and sophisticated web searching.
The Smithsonian Institution is a unique complex of 21 museums and galleries, the National Zoological Park, and nine research centers. The Smithsonian is a national and world treasure and is dedicated to its founding mission, “the increase and diffusion of knowledge.” Its exhibitions, programs, collections, and outreach touch the lives of millions of Americans every year, as well as many who visit us from abroad.
How to Apply
The Smithsonian offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. To learn more about us visit www.si.edu. This is not a federal position but has similar requirements and benefits. Interested candidates should submit their resumes and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by December 6, 2021. Please include the position title in your e-mail subject line. Resumes should include a description of your paid and non-paid work experience that is related to this job; starting and ending dates of job (Month and year); and average number of hours worked per week.
The Smithsonian Institution is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.