We have an exciting opportunity for a talented wordsmith with a flair for project management and digital content strategy to lead the development and reach of our new dynamic digital platform from the ground floor. Our ideal Content Senior Specialist will have a passion/interest in social justice and racial equity in the affordable housing/community development field – helping us bring our mission to life digitally and beyond.
The Content Senior Specialist will work with our digital consulting firm, the Communications team and program staff to launch our new digital platform in mid-2018. This effort will require a dedicated project management mindset, as you work to develop new content, update resources and help create our seminal digital foundation. Once our site launches, the Content Senior Specialist will be responsible for creating, improving and maintaining online and published content to achieve our outreach and marketing goals. Your duties will also include working with our Communications team to share content through e-mail, social media and print to raise brand and field awareness, and monitoring web traffic and metrics to identify best practices.
Our work requires a self-starter who can bring both knowledge of content management system technologies and an understanding of nonprofit communication. Our ideal candidate is an experienced professional with demonstrable creative writing and digital publishing skills. As our Content Senior Specialist, you should perform well under deadlines and be detail-oriented. If you are also an expert in content optimization and brand consistency, we would like to meet you. This position requires strong organizational skills and the ability to bring together a number of internal clients at once and work on multiple concurrent projects. Candidates should have strong communication skills and a genuine interest in helping people, solving problems, and learning and applying new digital technologies internally and externally. The ability to collaborate remotely with all program teams while building consensus is also critical for success in this position. We currently have 20 staff members, located in 12 states and four time zones.
The Content Senior Specialist will actively participate in team and employee meetings, retreats, or initiatives, seek opportunities to improve efficiencies and contribute creativity, innovation, collaboration, and problem solving throughout the organization.
1. Oversee Grounded Solutions Network’s digital build-out, helping to strategize and prioritize future builds and content needs, while establishing a foundation for our content, expertise and brand.
- Project manage our website build in partnership with external consultants; ensuring internal and external teams are meeting deadlines.
- Manage the content clean-up and creation of new content to meet our launch targets.
- Set goals, measure and track content performance via website analytics and user research, adjust efforts to increase performance.
- Develop editorial guidelines and processes to ensure that content is consistent with our brand voice, style and tone.
- Measurement and optimization of content will be required on a regular and ongoing basis. Optimize content according to SEO.
- Fully own and manage the content categorization and structure, content development, distribution and measurement of our new digital platform. Help educate and train the full team on their editorial roles and expectations.
Lead and facilitate discovery, planning and creative working sessions with staff members with various levels of understanding of the digital space.
2. Manage the organization’s overall digital editorial calendar in conjunction with all communication efforts.
- Collaborate across organizational functions and silos to deliver an effective content marketing strategy and editorial plan to meet the organization’s communication objectives.
- Gather and capture various incoming requests, and apply a strategic mindset to those requests in order to evaluate, scope, schedule and deliver on the work.
- This role requires a brand publisher mindset: create (or oversee the creation of) the content our audience is looking for and then to optimize the path to conversion.
- Work with the full communications team to establish, manage and maintain organizational workflow.
- Stay up-to-date with developments internally and externally, and generate new ideas to draw audience’s attention.
- Ensure the production of on time and optimal editorial and marketing content.
- Strategize and explore web traffic-driving activities like Google grant advertising to increase user acquisition.
3. Manage the organization’s “voice”, serving as the primary staff point of contact for editorial content and support.
- Develop, manage, and execute the editorial strategies within all editorial content to increase readership and generate leads
- Keep our website personas up-to-date and align content activities to business and user objectives.
- Write articles, letters, blogs, newsletters, and social media posts in conjunction with the CEO, department leads and the Communications team.
- Edit, proofread and improve writers’ posts
- Liaise with content writers to ensure brand consistency
- Build external partnerships with content partners to share content.
Qualifications for Entry into this Position:
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Experience with website management and social media accounts, with some HTML familiarity and website content management systems (Drupal and WordPress preferred).
- Exceptional and clear communication skills, both oral and written, with ability to synthesize and distill information from multiple sources into unified messaging.
- Experience and familiarity with affordable housing, community development and/or social justice preferred.
- Strong editorial experience – with a flair for storytelling and a background in brand copywriting.
- Social Media maven. This person must understand the basic best practices of the main social media channels, which content and approaches work on each and why.
- Demonstrated ability to approach projects creatively and systematically. Able to keep self and teammates on track, on budget and identify tools to manage project. Able to see opportunities for growth and understand how to make those changes happen.
- Detail orientated. Possess the ability to focus on the macro while not losing sight of the micro-details that make or break external communication efforts. Logical, process-oriented thinker.
- Experience in developing and implementing a comprehensive, integrated communications and marketing plan.
- Extensive experience with creating and producing a wide range of print and electronic products on budget and deadline.
- Resourceful. Willing to self-teach, seek out answers and best practices, search blogs, Twitter, user forums, help guides, etc.
- Commitment to success. This person must be committed to the success of our entire organization.
- This is a team-oriented position.
- Working knowledge and/or willingness to learn: Mail Chimp, Adobe Creative Suite, MSWord, Excel and PowerPoint, with some HTML familiarity and website content management systems preferred.
- Ability to work remotely and autonomously while managing a variety of projects simultaneously and actively communicating with other staff.
Minimum education level
- BA/BS preferred, HS diploma required.
- Minimum prior job-related experience or training
- Minimum 5 years working experience with at least 3+ years of content development experience in a nonprofit. Project management skills a plus.
The organization has one primary office location in Oakland, California, but staff may be located anywhere in the contiguous 48 states. All staff are expected to demonstrate the ability to work remotely while maintaining high levels of efficiency and productivity, while communicating effectively with their direct supervisor and colleagues.