Community Media Manager
CreaTV San Jose
CreaTV seeks a dynamic, community minded, media/technology professional interested in collaboratively leading the organization’s partner and educational activities. As a relatively new position, the right candidate will bring enthusiasm, innovation, and a creative approach to expanding our reach in the community, strengthening current relationships, and developing relevant, community centered educational and engagement opportunities.
CreaTV San Jose is a non-profit community media access center in downtown San Jose. Our mission is to inspire, educate, and connect San Jose communities, using media to foster civic engagement. Serving the San Jose and Silicon Valley community since 2008, CreaTV is a nationally recognized Community Media Center focusing on access to media and technology, the art of storytelling, and digital equity issues.
We manage four public and educational Comcast cable channels, airing over 3,200 locally produced videos in eight different languages each year. CreaTV also offers workshops in media production and provides a vast array of media production services to non-profits, cities, schools, and individuals wanting to produce content for the community.
The Community Media Manager performs a variety of duties related to designing, leading, and facilitating a variety of curriculum for youth and adults in media arts education. This position will create a comfortable and creatively stimulating learning environment for people from all walks of life, including the general public, college interns, local nonprofit organizations or service clubs, local government staff and officials, high school students enrolled in vocational programs, and youth groups. In addition, the Community Media Manager will create opportunities for creative professionals, community producers, and community members to come together to explore uses of media technology to tell stories of social and cultural relevance to impact the community. This position will take the lead on the development of all CreaTV educational opportunities and coordinate the activities of the Community Media Specialists in achieving our strategic goals.
The Community Media Manager, under the supervision of the CEO, provides both administrative and technical support, supervision, and training in the operation and use of all CreaTV San Jose facilities and equipment, and will work collaboratively to build partnerships and sustain organizational membership. This is a full time, salaried position.
Typical Duties (will include, but are not limited to, the following):
- Greet public by telephone and in person, responding to routine inquiries from the public, giving information about CreaTV San Jose’s policies and procedures, and referring callers as appropriate.
- Design, promote, coordinate, and conduct a media arts education program for youth and adults.
- Provide instructional training of operation of studio, editing suites, and field equipment in community workshops.
- Provide support for the marketing and promotion of CreaTV media education programs.
- Foster an active space where community members and media makers can connect with each other.
- Work with appropriate staff to develop impact measurement tools and procedures.
- Coordinate facilitating on and off-site trainings in a variety of media and technology courses.
- Develop and maintain training and instruction curricula for CreaTV classes and workshops.
- Organize work with interns and volunteers to create a meaningful experience that supports the organization’s priorities and goals.
- Create reports on the plans, activities, and outcomes of CreaTV media education and training programs.
- Develop outreach strategies to promote participation in CreaTV educational and partnership programs.
- Provide technical support and training to members of the public in the operation of all CreaTV San Jose equipment in a friendly and professional manner.
- Facilitate equipment certification process, ensuring that equipment is used properly and only by appropriately certified members.
- Manage membership renewals and member database.
- Gather input and design ideas for educational programs from CreaTV staff, community media colleagues, educational contacts, and other resources.
- Coordinate with Director of Production and CTO on equipment checkout, scheduling of checkouts, and checking in/out of gear in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Provide inventory control and general maintenance of facility and equipment resources used in training/instructional activities.
- Assist in reserving conference facilities, dubbing rooms, and editing suites in accordance with policies and procedures.
- May need to use a personal vehicle for business-related travel within San Jose.
- Other duties as assigned.
Desirable Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of community media, civic tech, digital inclusion, public access, and media production.
- Ability to convey knowledge of highly complex equipment and production or technology techniques to community users of various ages and levels of expertise.
- Generally technology savvy and/or a willingness to learn and develop technology and media skills.
- Nonprofit outreach, community building and/or membership building experience.
- Work creatively and flexibly in a team environment, operating autonomously under minimal supervision, and to both provide and accept direction, supervision, and guidance when appropriate.
- Convey a warm and welcoming public manner.
- Work effectively in a volunteer environment.
- Additional Language skills (Spanish or Vietnamese).
- Strong customer service skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Technically proficient in aspects of media production and knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite.
- Must be able to climb ladders and be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to operate a camera, monitor audio, and watch videos for quality control.
- Must be able to operate small push buttons and switches associated with audio boards, cameras, switchers, tripods, and editing systems.
- Must possess and maintain a valid California driver’s license, have a safe driving record, and maintain California minimum required automobile insurance.
- Able to work a flexible work schedule including evenings and weekends.
Education and Experience:
- Any combination of education and experience requirements below that provides the skill, knowledge, and abilities required.
- BA/BS in related field.
- Minimum two years of media production training at college or trade school / occupational training level.
- Minimum two years’ experience teaching media production or community based technology training.
- Demonstrated ability to manage staff.
How to Apply
People of color, women, formerly incarcerated people, LGBTQ+ individuals, and community visionaries are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please email a PDF cover letter and resume explaining your interest and qualifications for the position to email@example.com with the subject Community Media Manager. Please, no phone calls or hard copies of materials through the postal service. Application materials due by November 7th by 5pm PST.