Community Engagement Manager
The Community Engagement Manager, Membership Services manages ISTE’s vibrant online community of educators and year-round volunteer program. Supports our digital community engagement, actively introducing experience-enhancing features to community engagement using a very data-driven approach. Gathers and analyzes engagement data, solicits feedback, and stays abreast of community engagement trends and best practices. Manages member communication strategy and execution including member benefit communications, organization news and resources.
You’ll Love This Role If:
You love making connections and building community. You are energized by finding opportunities for volunteers to shine. You are comfortable and creative in fostering engagement in an online environment. You love the details of project management and enjoy digging into data. You are interested in educational technology and are motivated to make a difference for educators, schools and the field of education.
- Manage the year-round volunteer program, which includes developing opportunities for members to provide time and expertise to serve ISTE’s mission and members; track volunteers and activity, communicate with members throughout their volunteer experience and recognize them for their contributions
- Analyze data related to membership and community KPIs and other key metrics, prepare documents and presentations to staff, leadership, and board members
- Advocate for and make recommendations based on engagement data internally, with board members, and potentially with external audiences
- Create volunteer leader training, resources and guidelines for volunteer groups
- Manage online communities through discussion moderation and build community engagement through community best practices
- Orient staff around community platform functionality and help determine community objectives or project needs
- Manage member communications including lifecycle messages, member packets, ISTE Connect messages, monthly newsletters, and other member-related communications
- Manage member mailings and distribution of giveaways, gifts and swag for member contests, promotions, conferences, etc.
- Partner with the marketing and IT teams to improve and enhance the web user experience around member and community-focused web pages
- Manage approval and routing of membership team invoices for payment
- Coordinate and conduct webinars with volunteers, staff, and other experts
- Coordinate event logistics including décor and menu selection, speaker selection, budgets, contract review, and registration
- Serve as a key contributor on the membership team with additional duties and projects assigned as needed for team success (web research, budget and record management, meeting facilitation, etc.)
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serves on staff committees and specialized workgroups as assigned.
- Communicates in a professional, respectful and courteous manner with all employees, the Board of Directors, customers and others with whom we may work. Contributes to a successful workgroup through positive interactions, active listening, meaningful collaborations, and the constructive exchange of ideas designed to meet or exceed the organization’s strategic goals.
- Completes special projects and other duties as assigned to meet team, department and organizational goals while actively demonstrating accountability and responsibility for achieving desired outcomes and measurable results.
Serves on staff committees and specialized workgroups as assigned.
Physical and Environmental Elements:
The job is typically performed under very comfortable working conditions; any disagreeable elements are generally absent during the normal performance of the job.
- Concentrated mental and visual attention is required to perform essential functions in a partitioned office environment. Attention to detail is required to meet accuracy and quality standards. Finger dexterity is needed to access, enter and retrieve data using a computer keyboard or calculator and to operate standard office equipment. The position occasionally bends, stoops, reaches, pushes and pulls drawers to retrieve and file information and lifts and carries reports and records that typically weigh less than 20 pounds.
- Some business travel may be required, which includes both air and land transportation. It may be necessary to handle personal luggage and operate a motor vehicle. The position must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds when preparing for a conference, meeting, or exhibition.
For this position, we are considering candidates who may report to our offices in Portland, OR, or Arlington, VA, as well as candidates from outside those immediate geographic areas. Full-time remote or hybrid remote/in-office arrangements will be considered for the right candidate.
Minimum Qualification Guidelines:
- Typically requires a Bachelors’ Degree in a related field
- 2-4 years of work experience in project management or community engagement
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may also be acceptable.
- Experience managing virtual communities
- Experience working with volunteers in a virtual or remote environment
- Experience working with education communities or in the field of education
- Experience working with Salesforce, Hubspot, and/or Higher Logic
- Strong interpersonal skills required. Ability to balance setting limits while providing exceptional customer service.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, organization, and time management skills with strong attention to detail.
- Self-motivated, flexible, and resourceful.
- Strong computer skills with demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Suite.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively and work cooperatively with customers, staff, management, contractors, vendors, and others.
Desired skills and character traits:
- Collaborative, tech-savvy, & curious
- Resourceful, analytical, & socially intelligent
- Empathetic, problem-solver, & excellent communicator
- Strong negotiator, active listener, & self-motivated
How to Apply