Michael & Susan Dell Foundation
The Michael & Susan Dell Foundation (www.dell.org) is dedicated to improving the lives of children living in urban poverty around the world. With offices in Austin, TX, New Delhi, India, and Cape Town, South Africa, the Dell Foundation funds programs that foster high-quality public education and childhood health and improve the economic stability of families living in poverty. To date, the foundation has committed more than $2 billion to global children’s issues and community initiatives to accelerate opportunity for low-income families.
Our mission demands that we seek out and embrace many different voices because bringing together a diversity of ideas and experiences is the most powerful way we know to ensure the people we serve have opportunities to succeed. To achieve this vision, we must create a diverse team and inclusive culture, listen to the people we serve, and build authentic and trusting partnerships. We work to overcome both the causes and the consequences of major inequities and systemic racism by ensuring that resources and opportunities are fairly distributed.
Current Opportunity: Communications Officer – Austin, Texas
The Communications Officer will be part of a collaborative and high-performing team that works to tell the stories of the foundation in the most compelling way possible. The team is heavily focused on content creation and distribution, and it functions as a media agency within the foundation. This role will work closely with the programs teams to uncover and tell those stories, and tasks will include everything from strategic planning to tactical implementation.
The primary duties for this role include:
Strategic planning (20%): This role is responsible for developing communications goals and strategy to advance programmatic outcomes and foundation initiatives. This includes proactively identifying opportunities to innovate and transform our communications approach for greater impact, as well as issues management.
Content creation (30%): This role will be the primary lead for several of our US and/or international programs and will be responsible for planning and developing content for those teams. This includes the creation of blogs, videos, web content, whitepapers/e-books, and case studies. This requires excellent written communications skills and an ability to synthesize information for storytelling purposes.
Content promotion (15%): This role will work directly with the digital lead to manage distribution on the foundation’s owned channels. This will include organic social media, paid advertising, and email distribution, as well as monitoring key performance indicators to ensure campaign quality and effectiveness.
Marketing campaigns (15%): Marketing is a key component of our work, and this role will lead those efforts for select programs to help drive the work forward. The work includes planning and implementing email and social media marketing campaigns, PR/media relations, webinars, speaking engagements, event marketing, and industry partnerships.
Project management/collaboration (20%): With several program teams to manage, this role requires strong project and time management skills. We work very closely with our program teams, so it also requires a great amount of collaboration and teamwork. This role will require strong working relationships with vendors, industry partners, and grantees.
What does a typical day look like?
- Scanning of news each morning to ensure we are staying up to date on the landscape.
- Using strategic communications plans to execute on communications activities for teams.
- Attending meetings with program teams to source stories to tell through one of the foundation’s owned channels.
- Writing and editing blog, video and social media content for external audiences.
The successful candidate will bring experience, wisdom, and energy to this role, along with a strong passion for the mission of creating opportunities for children living in urban poverty. They will have the utmost integrity and a reputation for doing things the right way. The candidate will be a team player, consummate multi-tasker, and have the capacity to get up-to-speed quickly. They will be a self-sufficient professional who is both bottom line and results oriented. The candidate will know how to utilize contacts and relationships to accomplish various tasks.
Other qualifications include but are not limited to:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in communications, journalism, or marketing with 7-10 years of relevant work experience. Spanish fluency preferred
- Strong written and verbal communication skills (including optimal balance between brevity & detail)
- Commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Strong attention to detail and demonstrated project management skills
- Can work independently and as a collaborative member of a fast-paced team
- Flexibility and ability to adapt to new directions and assignments and complete challenging projects within set parameters and timelines
- Proficiency with social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram & LinkedIn
- Advanced user of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Experience navigating content, social media, and digital asset management software
- Typical amount of travel required to perform this role successfully: 4 weeks per year