California State Parks Foundation
Mission: Protecting and preserving the California State Park system, for the benefit of all.
Vision: We envision an inspiring and welcoming state park system where there is access for all, adequate and sustainable funding, and parks are protected for future generations.
California State Parks Foundation (CSPF) seeks an experienced, full-time Communications Coordinator to join our team and work on our robust and growing social media and online communications presence. Reporting to the Communications Manager and working collaboratively with program, advocacy, membership and development staff, the communications coordinator will assist with managing a strategic social media plan, contribute heavily to the production of online communications, and support a variety of communications projects that reach a wide variety of audiences, including donors and members, volunteers, funders, policymakers, activists, the media, and the public. Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills are essential.
Social media content creation and community management (50%):
- Manage the organization’s social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Flickr, YouTube and more) in line with strategic and communications goals
- Develop original, compelling content for all social media
- Manage online community of 100,000+ social media followers, including responding to questions and moderating posts
- Identify opportunities to grow social media presence, via new channels, increased reach and engagement, and developing and executing special campaigns
- Oversee monthly online photo contest
- Design reports and monitor social media analytics and success measurements, regularly and on specific campaigns, and apply data to improve social media strategy
Online communications (25%):
- Write, create and schedule monthly E-News in email marketing software
- Assist program, advocacy, membership, and development staff with creating and scheduling email messages and alerts in emailing marketing system
- Manage Google AdWords Campaigns by researching keywords, create ad copy and monitor campaign effectiveness
- Help maintain current and accurate website content, making updates, edits and new pages in the content management system (CMS)
- Design reports and monitor email and website analytics and success measurements using Google Analytics, Salesforce, and other content management systems. Monitor regularly and on specific campaigns, and apply data to improve email and website strategy
Other communications project assistance (25%):
- Contribute to working toward organizational communications goals, such as storytelling, branding and messaging, and more
- Contribute to communications projects and plans for publications, events, fundraisers and more
- May include writing, photo management, copy-editing/proofreading, research, fact-checking, graphic development, etc.
- Administrative and other duties as needed or assigned
- Professional experience creating content for a brand’s, company’s, or organization’s social media presence, including Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, and experience with social media content management software such as Hootsuite (non-profit experience a plus)
- Experience using web content management systems and basic HTML knowledge
- Experience using email marketing software, Salesforce Marketing Cloud a plus
- Extremely organized, process-oriented and able to manage a lot of moving pieces with exceptional attention to detail – really, really exceptional attention to detail
- Able to work both independently and collaboratively across teams
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Open to learning new skills and trying new things
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Adobe Creative Suite experience preferred
- Customer service experience a plus
- Commitment to the California State Parks Foundation’s mission
- Able to attend events, sometimes on weekends or evenings, as necessary (infrequent travel required). California driver’s licenses preferred
- Able to work at a computer for long periods of time, work in and move across an office setting, communicate with colleagues and constituents, and occasionally move items up to 25 lbs, with or without reasonable accommodation
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS: This exempt position starts at $52,500, depending on experience. Employee benefits include medical, dental and vision insurance; 401k retirement plan; pre-tax commuter benefits; and paid vacation, holidays and sick time.
How to Apply
TO APPLY: Please email your application to email@example.com with “Communications coordinator” in the subject line. Your application should include your resume, a thoughtful cover letter and a writing sample with an original Facebook post and original tweet for the California State Parks Foundation (additional writing samples or portfolios welcome), as three separate attachments with your first initial and last name in the file names. Applications considered on a rolling basis until position is filled.
The California State Parks Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People of color, LGBTQ people, people with disabilities and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for the position in accordance with San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Police Code, Article 49.