Communications and Advocacy Manager
The Communications and Advocacy Manager is responsible for creating top-notch strategic communications to advance the business and advocacy goals of Eden Housing. This position will develop Eden Housing’s advocacy platform strategy for engaging external and internal stakeholders in Eden Housing’s advocacy efforts. This position will create and maintain an organization-wide communications calendar. It also will carry out Eden Housing’s policy agenda as it pertains to grassroots and grasstops
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Works with the Communications department to implement annual communications department goals.
- Collaborates with Eden’s various departments to produce compelling content to communicate Eden Housing’s successes and grow support for the production of affordable housing.
- Drafts and write articles, blog posts, and other content as assigned by Vice President of Communications, Advocacy and Fund Development.
- Assists in the production of print and digital communication vehicles like the newsletter, action alerts, social media posts, and website updates.
- With guidance from the Director of Fund Development and the Associate Director of Community Engagement and Marketing, manages and maintains EveryAction digital organizing platform for email marketing, action alerts, event registration, fundraising, and volunteer management.
- Works with the Associate Director of Community Engagement and Marketing to identify social media opportunities to promote Eden Housing’s work and resources, and to help reach goals for increased reach and engagement on Eden Housing’s social media platforms, email action network, and website.
- Assists with the tracking of KPIs on engagement with external audiences.
- Contributes to refining and updating the Communications Department guiding processes and protocols about best practices in strategic communications.
- With input from pertinent Eden Housing leadership and policy consultants, identifies and prioritizes proactive policy positions, ensuring effective collaboration with internal and external stakeholders.
- Coordinates Eden Housing’s involvement with community groups engaged in advocacy activities in partnership with CEO, SVP of Real Estate Development, and VP of Communications, Advocacy and Fund Development.
- Tracks policy developments at the local, state and federal levels for housing issues as they relate to Eden Housing’s development pipeline and residents.
- Represents relevant Eden Housing policy positions at the local, state, and federal levels through written correspondence and testimony at hearings.
- In conjunction with the Vice President of Communications, Advocacy and Fund Development, organizes opportunities for residents, volunteers, staff, donors and the wider community to participate in advocacy activities which include, but are not limited to, recruitment, training, and providing deeper engagement in public policy issues that face our community.
- Provides technical assistance and training to assist Eden Housing staff in organizing advocacy efforts in their departments.
- Tracks Development Department pipeline and offers technical assistance in government affairs and relationship building.
- Assists with the tracking of KPIs on engagement with decision makers and elected officials.
- Develops and cultivates good working relationships with external stakeholders such as residents, volunteers, donors, government, policy makers, board members, partners, and other affordable housing advocates.
- Drafts and distributes statements, pitches, and press releases to members of the media.
- Tracks and reports on public sentiment around Eden Housing and affordable housing in social media and the press.
- Provides graphic design support as needed.
- Other communications projects as assigned by the Vice President of Communications, Advocacy and Fund Development.
Education and/or Experience:
- 2 years of experience in the advocacy and communications arenas.
- Community organizing experience.
- Digital organizing experience preferred.
- Journalism or writing background preferred.
Preferred Skills and/or Abilities:
- Strategic thinker. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Collaborative working style; team building approach.
- Effective oral and written communication skills and ability to represent the company and interface professionally to public officials and community groups.
- Email marketing experience a plus.
- Experience in graphic design and digital video a plus.
- Ability to handle shifting and multiple priorities in a fast-paced, growth environment.
- Must be able and willing to travel to all company locations to carry out duties and responsibilities.
- Experience working with diverse groups, i.e., staff, residents, outside contacts.
- Commitment to Eden Housing’s goals and philosophy.
Certificaties, Licenses, Regristrations:
- Must have reliable automobile transportation, a valid California Driver’s License and vehicle insurance.
Language, Math, Reasoning Skills:
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Ability to effectively present information to senior management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear.
- The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel and crouch.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. engagement.
- This person will track and maintain a working knowledge of public policy and legislation related to housing.
- This position is responsible for translating housing policy developments into advocacy actions to present to and engage stakeholders.
- This position also will oversee community organizing and resident involvement in our advocacy programs.
- The Communications and Advocacy Manager will directly report to the Vice President of Communications, Advocacy and Fund Development and will work closely with the Director of Fund Development and Communications, Associate Director of Community Engagement and Marketing and the Associate Director of Resident Services.
- The Communications and Advocacy Manager must have a strong grasp of persuasive communications and community organizing.
How to Apply
How to Apply