Benetech is a non-profit company that develops and uses technology to create positive social change in the areas of disability, data security, education, literacy, human rights, employment of the disadvantaged and in the prevention of suffering. In 2002 Benetech launched Bookshare; the world’s largest online accessible library of copyrighted digital content books for people with disabilities such as blindness, visual impairment and severe dyslexia.
Bookshare, the world’s largest accessible digital library for readers with print disabilities, seeks a detail-oriented, tech-savvy, flexible individual who is passionate about books to join our collection development team. This dynamic and mission-driven group is responsible for the core processes that make digital books in accessible formats available to over 400,000 Bookshare members worldwide – books that would otherwise be unreadable for them.
As Collection Development Specialist, you will be responsible for ordering books, managing book quality reports, and setting up and testing new publisher content queues. You will also handle reporting ongoing ingestion issues to engineering, maintenance of special collections, and other collection maintenance and enhancement projects as assigned. This is a full-time position based in Palo Alto, CA.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Source requested books as needed, purchasing or requesting from publisher partners.
- Oversee book quality functions, assigning lower complexity tasks to other staff members, triaging and responding to higher complexity issues personally or reporting to engineering, maintaining basic metrics.
- Oversee set up of new publisher partner feeds, gathering necessary information, testing files, and filing tickets with engineering.
- Consult with product management and engineering on larger format ingestion issues (UEB, EPUB3, complex PQ books, etc).
- Maintain and promote special collections and other high value titles to members.
- Improve discoverability and availability of content through metadata enhancement and fixes.
- 5+ years of administrative experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Rigorous attention to detail and high standards of accuracy in data entry
- Ability to lift 20 pounds of books
- Experience with detailed record keeping and reporting
- Demonstrated competence with office software tools
- Commitment and enthusiasm for Benetech’s mission of serving the social good
- Experience with Salesforce, scanning software, and assistive technology are highly desired