We are seeking a full-time regional organizer based out of our Chicago office to support and help lead our work in several Midwestern states on sustainable agriculture, water, and energy issues. In particular, the new staff person will be: 1) Working with state and local organizations and Food & Water Watch members to advance federal campaign priorities; (2) Supporting state and local organizing efforts around state legislation and local site fights and helping build capacity of those partner organizations.
We seek a talented and strategic organizer to help take us our work to the next level. The new organizer will work to strengthen existing coalition relationships, engage in extensive travel, outreach and public speaking to help build our presence in the region, build relationships with our donors and potential donors, and work with top level volunteers to strategically move our campaigns forward.
- Build a strong base of organizations and individuals in support of our campaigns.
- Develop strategic campaign plans including long- and short-term goals, strategies and tactics.
- Maintain familiarity with a diverse set of issues and research products, and respond to information requests from activists, coalition members, and media.
- Develop educational materials such as factsheets, action alerts, web site content and newsletter articles on various campaign issues. Maintain activist database and email lists to effectively communicate to members and supporters.
- Develop and implement legislative, field organizing, online, and media strategies in support of these campaigns
- Build strong relationships with state based and grassroots organizations and travel throughout the region
- Provide trainings to grassroots allies and Food & Water watch supporters in organizing strategy and tactical skills
- Participate in membership recruitment and fundraising for Food & Water Watch.
- Coordinate events such as, but not limited to, panel discussions and film screenings
- Engage and train student leaders and supervise interns.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Education: College degree or equivalent experience required. Organizing experience as a student preferred.
- Experience: At least one year experience in advocacy on public policy issues, and/or grassroots/field organizing. Prior experience organizing in POC communities a plus.
- Knowledge: Organizing, advocacy and legislative strategy techniques; familiarity with federal and state legislatures; consumer and environmental issues; working with the media. Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
- Skills: Excellent written and oral communication skills; strong interpersonal and planning; excellent organizational skills. Knowledge of online activism and email listservs.
- Capabilities: Ability to think creatively and quickly to respond to legislative developments and to take advantage of breaking news; demonstrated leadership capability; ability to work well with a wide variety of people and to coordinate diverse tasks; ability to present technical concepts to a mass audience; can-do attitude and commitment to public interest work. Work well under pressure, handle multiple tasks at once, and adapt to changing situations on a daily basis. High level of independent judgment.
- Conditions: Strong interest in and commitment to promoting the goals of Food & Water Watch. Long hours possible, extensive travel possible.
- Applicant must be legally eligible to work in the United States.
Competitive salary, depending upon experience. We offer an excellent benefits package that includes 100% employer paid medical/dental/long-term disability, 403(b) retirement plan, and generous paid leave.