Associate Director, Media & Public Relations
The END Fund
POSTING: Associate Director, Media & Public Relations
LOCATION: New York City
REPORTS TO: Director, Communications
The END Fund is a leading philanthropic investment vehicle with a mission to control or eliminate diseases that affect the world’s poorest people, specifically five of the most prevalent neglected tropical diseases (NTDs): intestinal worms, river blindness, trachoma, schistosomiasis and lymphatic filariasis. In the first five years since the END Fund’s inception (2012-2016), the team mobilized more than $75 million in private investments and supported delivery of over 331 million treatments, training of more than 750,000 health workers, and provision of over 10,000 surgeries for people suffering from these preventable and controllable diseases. In 2017 alone, the END Fund supported partners to provide over 160 million NTD treatments (valued at over $330 million) to more than 90 million people at risk of NTDs in 23 countries. In a short time, the END Fund has thus established a strong track record in private philanthropic giving.
The END Fund accomplishes its mission by:
- Mobilizing and investing resources to where they can have maximum impact;
- Advocating for innovative, integrated and cost-effective NTD programs; and
- Facilitating private sector engagement to end diseases of poverty.
The END Fund’s strategic programming and priorities are in line with the WHO and global NTD community’s common roadmap to control or eliminate the most common NTDs. The END Fund has a special emphasis on Africa and currently supports NTD programs in 10 strategic priority countries in Africa and an additional 12 to 15 countries in Africa, the Middle East, and Asia. The END Fund is actively seeking to expand its community of visionary and engaged philanthropists, foundations, and corporations committed to treating and preventing the spread of NTDs. Ensuring organizational learning and evidence-based decision making is integral to this growth strategy.
The END Fund’s rapid growth has created a number of exciting media opportunities that we only see increasing in scope and size in the coming years. A key member of the New York-based team, the Associate Director, Media & Public Relations primary role is to support the fundraising, advocacy, institutional brand-building, and reputation management of the END Fund through the press and media.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- With Director, Communications, create institutional media and PR Plan including a crisis communications plan.
- Manage all corporate media relations for the END Fund proactively reaching out to journalists for report launches, around events, and during other campaigns. This includes creating and pitching press releases, writing key messages for internal and external stakeholders, and prepping staff, board members, and other champions for interviews.
- Serve as the main point of contact for incoming media requests.
- Track and nurture all relationships in media tracking system, maintaining a core list of global journalists interested in the organization’s work.
- Create and analyze monthly and campaign-based reports
- Create newsworthy moments around programs milestones and deliverables.
- Work with Director, Communications to position the CEO and other senior staff to be thought leaders.
- Work with Africa-based media and/or media consultant to create an enabling environment for fundraising and champion-building. This includes media trainings, oped placements, and coverage of programmatic milestones.
- Serve as point of contact with all funders for media relations.
- Some domestic and international travel as needed (At least 5%)
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
- Strong preference for 5 years of experience in PR/media relations: Bachelor’s degree preferred or relevant mix of experience and education.
- Strong writing skills with ability to distill complex information to various audiences
- Familiarity with global health issues, and NTDs specifically, and/or a willingness to learn
- Strong attention to detail, self-motivated, and proactive.
- Ability to work independently as well as a part of a collaborative team
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to coordinate, prioritize, and manage multiple activities
- Experience with media relationship management systems such as MuckRack, Cision, or Meltwater.
- Demonstrated cultural sensitivity; international experience in/across geographic areas covered by END Fund programs a plus
- Ability to work in the US and ability and desire to travel domestically and internationally
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The END Fund offers competitive compensation and employer-paid benefits in addition to a rewarding career in service to others.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT AND COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
The END Fund is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. It is our policy and intent that all qualified persons be given full and equal opportunities for employment, training, promotions, wages, benefits, and all other privileges, terms, and conditions of employment.
How to Apply
Visit our site and complete the online application.