Associate Director, Application Development
American Association for the Advancement of Science
We have an exciting full-time opportunity for an Associate Director, Application Development to join our IT Team.
Reporting to the Director of IT, the Associate Director, AppDev works in a matrixed environment and is responsible for managing teams of software developers, business analysts, project managers, and software support staff to deliver on the wide-ranging technology strategies and objectives of AAAS. We are looking for someone who wants to bring their experience to solve new problems, hone existing skills, and learn new ones. At AAAS you will get to build software, help select vendor platforms, and write the integrations between the two! Mentor your development staff, interact with DevOps and business stakeholders, and keep it all under control working with the program managers. This position is ideal for development managers looking to take the next step in your career.
Are you ready to be a Force for Science?
What You’ll Do
- Lead and develop a high-performing team of software developers (about twelve reports)
- Collaborate with IT leadership, business stakeholders, and AAAS senior leadership to ensure software development and integration efforts are aligned
- Evolve and refine the software and system integration development lifecycle processes of the IT organization
- Work with the project management team to assemble, track, and monitor project plans for longer-term projects undertaken by the Application Development team
- Coordinate appropriate communications with Association stakeholders with regard to impacts on scope, budget, risk, and resources to projects and/or work efforts for which they are leading
- Communicate frequently with the Director of IT as to the performance of both the team and projects, as well as reports any association impact as a result of system failures, security events, etc
- Assist the IT Leadership in the development of annual budgets and ongoing monitoring of project budgets
- Extensive university or college level training leading to a Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, or a related science, technology, or mathematics field
- Ten years’ experience as a software engineer developing large-scale software applications for the enterprise
- Five years’ experience leading a team of software engineers in full-lifecycle development of large-scale software applications/integrations for the enterprise
- Extensive experience in object-oriented design and development using Java Enterprise Edition, C# with the .NET framework, or similar
- Demonstrated expertise in developing service-oriented or event-driven architectures
- Demonstrated knowledge of technology architectural concepts, schedule trade-offs, software engineering practices, and quality engineering practices
- Demonstrated success coaching and mentoring direct reports and aligned staff for the purpose of improving organizational effectiveness
Submit a resume and cover letter today! Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. A Recruiter will contact you with the next steps if you are selected for an interview.
AAAS is an EEO employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected category. AAAS uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees.
How to Apply
Submit a resume and cover letter outlining qualifications and interest in the position by September 23, 2020.