ACLU of Washington
The American Civil Liberties Union of Washington (ACLU-WA) is seeking a detail- and process-oriented people person to help advance our cause. The Administrative Assistant will play a key role in facilitating the smooth functioning of a high-performing office. Among other things, this person will answer the phones and greet visitors at our reception desk; ensure the office is well-stocked; and help maintain shared office lists and documents. This position will receive direction and support from the Administration and HR Teams, and will report to the Administrative Manager & Special Assistant to the Executive Director.
The ACLU of Washington is a leader among state affiliates of the American Civil Liberties Union, the country’s premier guardian of liberty. We work in courts, legislatures, and communities to protect and extend American rights to freedom, fairness, and equality. The ACLU is both nonprofit and nonpartisan. The ACLU-WA’s staff of 40+ employees and numerous volunteers work in a fast-paced, friendly and professional office in downtown Seattle. We are supported by more than 135,000 members, activists, and donors.
The ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, socio-economic circumstance, or record of arrest or conviction.
- Serve as front desk receptionist, field incoming phone calls, and direct callers to the appropriate staff. Greet and direct visitors, including people seeking help, board members, allies, and salespeople. Provide general information about the ACLU. Calmly respond to people who are seeking ACLU’s help. This will be the key responsibility of this position.
- Retrieve and distribute mail; receive and sign for deliveries.
- Ensure that the front door and the phones are open and/or closed according to schedule.
- Keep the In/Out Board updated, and post the daily conference room schedules.
- Reply to general email inquiries.
- Monitor, order, and disseminate office supplies. Manage the supply room.
- Facilitate equipment borrowing.
- Maintain certain shared office-wide files and documents.
- Manage all-office calendar items and schedule meetings as requested.
- Help staff with inter-office events (set-up, food ordering, etc.) as needed.
- Arrange the use of the loading dock and scheduling meeting rooms outside the office.
- Manage the staff chore rotation and remind staff about office procedures.
- Help facilitate the smooth running of the office and provide the Administration team with other support as needed.
- Help maintain a positive, respectful, and welcoming environment for employees, interns, and other volunteers.
- Experience with respectful and compassionate customer service is a must.
- Experience working with people displaying unusual or challenging behavior is a plus.
- Excellent office and organizational skills. Strong attention to detail and follow-through are a must.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Spanish language skills are a plus.
- The ability to develop and maintain good working relationships with visitors, volunteers, and staff.
- The ability to take initiative and work independently, and as a member of a team.
- The ability to work calmly and efficiently, and to adjust to frequently changing demands.
- A commitment to the ACLU’s mission.
- Ideal candidates will have an awareness of, and willingness to engage in, the difficult and transformative work of challenging systems of oppression, institutional and structural racism, and implicit bias.
This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU reserves the right to change the description and/or posting at any time without advance notice. This position is “non-exempt” under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary is $45,000. Benefits include three weeks of vacation, medical and disability insurance, a retirement plan, and an ORCA card. This position is full-time: 35 working hours per week, plus a 1-hour lunch break each day. The hours are 9am – 5pm Monday – Friday.
The ACLU-WA values our assistants as essential to the organization. As such, we are pleased to offer a path for assistants to grow into increased responsibilities and compensation. We support continued learning and provide five paid workdays per year for professional development opportunities.
To apply, email a letter of application and resume to Jobs@aclu-wa.org and include in the subject line of the email: your last name and Administrative Assistant. In your letter, please indicate where you learned of the posting. Applications will be accepted until August 14, 2019, at which time the job announcement will be removed from our website at www.aclu-wa.org/careers
The ACLU of Washington comprises two separate corporate entities, the American Civil Liberties Union of Washington, Inc. and the American Civil Liberties Union of Washington Foundation. The two corporations share the same overall mission, office space, and employees. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “ACLU of Washington”.
How to Apply