Get the tools and skills you need to identify and analyze implicit assumptions made in your own work. You’ll learn to analyze and describe your own motivation, power, and role within the citizen sector and the nonprofit field.
We will also work through the process of reflecting on how lived experience, privilege, and culture affect how you do your work, and be more critical and self-aware about decisions made regarding diversity and inclusion at leadership levels at your organization. You’ll leave with a clear sense of the potential effects of your organization’s decisions on constituents, staff, and our society as a whole.
You will be also be able to evaluate your organization’s status on diversity and inclusion, and learn how to create a customized action plan moving forward, including driving decision-making through data analysis, addressing bias, creating a safe workplace, diversifying outreach and hiring practices, and developing a code of conduct.
You will learn by asking questions such as:
- What does diversity mean in our organization? What does it mean to the participants or end users that we serve?
- How is diversity demonstrated at management and staff levels?
- To what extent does our organization foster a culture of inclusion or non-inclusion?
- How might we re-engineer our workplace, in a participatory way, so that we foster a culture of diversity and inclusion with our constituents, staff, and management?
You will be able to…
- Review the overall lens of diversity and inclusion as an emerging topic in workforce development and culture-building.
- Reflect on your current organization’s assumptions and practices around diversity and inclusion.
- Compare/contrast your current situation against public reports from other organizations.
- Develop an action plan for creating an organizational culture rooted in empathy and inclusion.
Professional Credential Units
In addition to our own Nonprofit Technology Professional Certificate, NTEN is an approved provider for a number of other professional credentials programs. This course qualifies for the following credits.
NTEN Professional Certificate 1 | CFRE 3 | CAE 1.5