For many years, organizations heard that they needed to be “data-driven,” so many became overly focused on numbers that weren’t really connected to their mission or impact. Then, they heard they needed to be “data-informed” and tried to mix data with user stories and experiential feedback. Now, organizations are challenged to decide if data should be a focus or not, and how it supports decision making, reporting, storytelling, and impact evaluation.
Nonprofit Tech Readiness (NTR) for Data Empowerment is a six-month cohort program for nonprofit professionals interested in using data more effectively and equitably as an organization. Our goal is to elevate nonprofits’ technology capacity significantly by strengthening participants’ knowledge of best practices for technology planning, budgeting, decision making, and more while supporting them to advance a data-related project specific to their organization.
How does it work?
NTR combines online educational sessions and leadership development. Participants learn from nonprofit technology experts and receive guidance and training to support technology projects at their organizations. This capacity-building program meets the diverse needs of nonprofit staff working to implement technology solutions that make meaningful change in their communities.
The educational sessions reflect the major departmental areas across an organization. This comprehensive training provides every participant, regardless of their current job, a full view of best practices, strategic decision-making processes, and knowledge for managing technologies in all areas of an organization. Additionally, you’ll learn to benchmark your capacity against similar organizations (not just the big names in the sector) and find appropriate partners to advance your plans.
- Training Series: a series of educational sessions that cover the core competencies of technology planning, budgeting, implementation, and evaluation across an organization
- Workshops: dedicated working sessions to provide skill-building and networking while helping you advance your technology project planning
- Leadership Development: facilitated process to coach you in providing project feedback, practicing and modeling experiences you can replicate in your organizations
- Technology Projects: coaching and support for your unique project that will make a critical and lasting impact on your programs including direct support on project planning, culture change, and successful path for implementation
The first 10 weeks of the program provide participants with a foundational knowledge of technology and its role across the entire organization. Similar to other NTEN educational programs, NTR training focuses on strategic processes, best practices, and practical application rather than specific software. During Term I, participants will attend weekly online training, complete weekly homework assignments for review by faculty, and identify and submit a final data-related project that they will be able to plan for and advance during Term II. Participants should anticipate 3-4 hours of program-related work each week.
Term I topics include:
- Leadership: Culture and Change Management
- Technology Project Planning
- Digital Strategy
- Social Media
- IT Planning
- Data Management
- Metrics and Evaluation
The content in Term II is driven by the needs of the cohort. The goal is to help participants move forward with the data projects they identified during the first term. Participants will attend two online workshops and be able to invite additional staff to join for this training. Term II also includes access to ongoing online education and coaching at the discretion of the participant. The time commitment will lessen to around 2 hours per week during the second term. The program will have a final gathering to celebrate the work of the cohort, and participants will be able to invite colleagues, friends, and family to join.
Term II topics include:
- Tech project planning
- Pitching for tech support
- September 29, 2020: Program orientation via web conference to answer questions, check everyone’s online access and account settings, and provide detailed information about the 6-month calendar.
- October 6, 2020 – December 15, 2020: Term I — weekly online programs on Tuesdays at 11 a.m. pacific
- January – March 2021: Term II — asynchronous coaching and continued training. Events include online workshops and the culmination event. The specific dates for these workshops and the culmination event will be confirmed based on participant schedules, with the expectation that one workshop takes place in both January and February, with the final gathering in March.
NTR is a six-month program. Participants should anticipate 3-4 hours of program-related work each week during the first 2.5 months and 2 hours each week during the last 3.5 months.
NTR is provided to participants free of charge. The largest investment comes from participants of their time, and by their organizations in supporting staff with the time to participate fully.
Who should apply
Nonprofit staff who are interested in practical and tangible technology training and located in all US states and terrirotires are encouraged to apply. Participants should be staff responsible for the advancement and implementation of a data project at their organization. This may include staff from anywhere within an organization, but we do not include board members or volunteers.
Applications for the 2020 cohort open August 17.