NTEN has worked hard over the years to reduce the carbon footprint of our annual conference. This year, we’re formalizing our efforts and rolling out a new sustainability plan to help us be even more effective in ‘greening’ the NTC. And we need YOU, our wonderful community, to help! We’re looking for some creative, environmentally minded nptechies to gather their ideas and experiences and join our Sustainability Committee. Let us know by September 9 if you’d like to participate–we’d love your input.
Here’s a glimpse into what we are working on so far for 2014 and beyond:
- Travel offset program in partnership with TerraPass
- Ride-share program
- Composting of food and utensil waste at hotel
- Ethically-sourced and reusable tote bags, registration materials, and tchotchkes
- Reduction of paper-waste by offering digital collateral option for vendors
- Banning plastics and Styrofoam
- Digital program guide
- Green printing and signage
- Local food sourcing–organic and seasonal when possible
Sound intriguing? Here’s what’s involved with being a committee member:
- Ability to participate in a monthly phone call to identify new goals and to review progress made toward goals
- Willingness to do occasional ‘homework’, such as research or reaching out to potential partners, vendors, etc (no more than 1-2 hours per month)
- Respond to occasional emails with random requests and questions
- Help your friends and associates in the NTEN community move toward a commitment to sustainability and stewardship
If you aren’t able to commit to being a committee member but would still like to be involved, here are some ways you can help:
- Offset your travel to NTC when you register (more about this to come) and encourage your colleagues to do the same
- Use a reusable container while at the conference to cut down on plastic waste
- Opt for the digital versions of the program guide and vendor resources
- Reuse your hotel towel
- Use public transportation or ride-shares while in Washington, DC (details to come)
- Stay tuned for more things you can do!
Interested or have questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 503.272.8744.