Food & Water Watch is a leading national advocacy organization that runs cutting edge organizing campaigns to ban fracking, ensure safe drinking water for all and challenge the corporate control and abuse of our food, water and democracy. In this time of unprecedented threats to our environment and our democracy, we are looking for an online organizer to join our team in using creative digital strategies to educate and engage supporters, build a network of activists, pressure strategic campaign targets, fundraise, and build long term political power.
At Food & Water Watch, we believe in fighting for the fundamental changes necessary to protect our environment and our democracy for future generations. We must be bold and visionary and not settle for what others say is politically expedient. We must work with grassroots partners to mobilize people to pressure decision makers to represent the interests of their constituents, not large corporate interests. Its how we have won major organizational victories like a ban on fracking in New York, defeated water privatization in dozens of communities across the country, stopped the use of arsenic in factory farms raising chickens, among other things. And, it is how we are going to resist current threats and rebuild our water infrastructure, food and energy systems, and our democracy.
The Online Campaign Organizer works to develop and implement online organizing campaigns, to build Food & Water Watch’s capacity, and increase our online to offline actions. We are a hard working, passionate, and energetic team and we are looking for someone with similar passion and values to join our team. This position is preferred to be located in our Chicago or Washington, DC offices.
- Quickly and concisely write and send email advocacy alerts and fundraising emails.
- Develop and implement coordinated strategies for email communications to grow our list of online and offline supporters.
- Increase Food & Water Watch’s membership and donor base by recruiting new members online and managing communication with members.
- Work with regional organizing teams, specifically in the Mid-Atlantic and Midwest regions, to develop and synchronize online organizing with field organizing campaigns.
- Assist in creating online action alerts, web content and other materials needed to implement campaigns.
- Track and analyze metrics related to online action and fundraising efforts.
- Testing and optimization of online tactics to develop data-driven organizational best practices.
- Help manage organizational list growth and acquisition.
- Maintain familiarity with a diverse set of issues and respond to information requests from activists and coalition members if necessary.
- Participate in offline campaign activities such as volunteer meetings, events and rallies.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience: At least three years experience in email marketing at a non-profit organization, with a preference for experience in online organizing, online fundraising, or grassroots/field organizing. If the latter, strong knowledge of online organizing tools is a must. Experience using online tools to strengthen offline grassroots campaigns is strongly preferred.
- Knowledge: Strong knowledge of best practices for non-profit online marketing, including email messaging, online advocacy, and online fundraising; familiarity with grassroots organizing and advocacy techniques is strongly preferred; familiarity with legislative campaigns, consumer and environmental issues; knowledge of social media best practices; knowledge of, passion for, and experience with water, food, or public interest issues a strong plus.
- Skills: Excellent written and oral communication skills, including online communications; strong interpersonal and planning skills; excellent writing ability; Excellent organizational skills; hands-on experience with eCRM systems, or online activism and email platforms; Experience with Convio Luminate Online is a plus; basic data analysis and knowledge of Excel; experience with HTML and CSS is a plus; ability to create and edit web graphics in Photoshop is desirable.
- Capabilities: Passion for the web and using technology for social good; ability to think on your feet and quickly to respond to legislative developments and to take advantage of breaking news; demonstrated leadership capability; ability to work well with a wide variety of people and to coordinate diverse tasks; ability to present technical concepts to a general audience; can-do attitude and commitment to public interest work; troubleshooting and ability to track down and solve problems; attention to detail; ability to take direction, work well under pressure, and handle multiple tasks at once; sense of humor appreciated.
- Conditions: Strong interest in and commitment to promoting the goals of Food & Water Watch. Long/irregular hours and travel possible.
- Applicant must be legally eligible to work in the United States.
Competitive salary, dependent on experience. We offer an excellent benefits package that includes 100% employer-paid medical/dental/vision/long-term disability, 403(b) retirement plan, and generous paid leave.