Now in our seventh year of collecting and reporting on these nonprofit technology spending and practices data, this research provides not only the benchmarks you and your organization can use for assessing and planning your technology budgets and strategies, but also provides valuable benchmarks for the nonprofit sector as a whole in gauging the maturity and effectiveness of technology strategies and use.
With NTEN’s strategic outcomes in mind, this report examines: technology staffing levels, technology budgets, overall organizational approach to technology decisions, as well as technology oversight and management practices.
Key findings from this year’s survey:
- On average, our respondents have 3.4 technology-responsible staff
- On average, each technologyresponsible staff supports almost 29 organizational staff members
- “Leading” organizations have about 5x more total technology staff than “Struggling” organizations
- Because technology budgets can vary widely, even when comparing organizations of a similar operating budget size category, using the Per- Staff budget metric can be a more useful benchmark for planning and assessment.
- When looking at the Per-Staff budgets, we see that Very Large organizations may be spending the same or even less than Small organizations.
- The median technology budget as a percentage of the organization’s total operating budget across all organization sizes in our survey ranges from 1% to 2.2%.
And don’t forget, you can compare your own organization’s technology staffing and budget levels to the research via NTEN’s online benchmarking tool, which allows you to filter the data by organization size, staff size, issue area, and more. You can also print custom benchmark reports or download your filtered data set.